The Hockey Griffens has been established to support hockey at Abingdon and ensure that our students have the best opportunity to enjoy this exciting sport at school.
We are here to:
- Raise the profile of hockey both in and outside of the school
- Fundraise to support hockey for all who wish to play at Abingdon
- Ensure that the hockey side-lines offer a friendly, inclusive environment so that all parents and visitors can enjoy the sport
- Hold an annual Hockey Griffens Awards and Fundraising Dinner as well as other social events throughout the hockey term, to unite students, coaches and parents.
Hockey already has a highly successful track record at Abingdon, recent successes include:
- 1st XI 100% win record for 2018 and 2019
- Regular representation at GB U16 and U18 levels
- Strong representation at County and Regional level
- Large numbers of pupils play at local clubs
- Regular winners of ISHL leagues
We want to help build on this enviable level of success and foster a love of hockey that will stay with our young well into their adulthood. Some of the ways that we plan on achieving this include helping with tour costs, purchasing equipment, funding England hockey coaching and umpire courses for students and ensuring that any individual who plays hockey at Abingdon feels that their achievement is rewarded and recognised.
In order to achieve this, 2022 saw the launch of the Hockey Griffens Membership, and we sincerely hope that many of our hockey parents will want to support the association by joining. Annual family membership costs £35, and all membership fees will be directly invested into the development of hockey at Abingdon.
To join, simply complete this google form and the membership fees will be added to your next termly bill.
As parents you can invariably find us on the side-lines, cheering on the boys. Please do come and find one of us if you have any questions regarding the Hockey Griffens, or drop us an email on [email protected].
Historical Fund Usage
Money raised by the Association through fundraising dinners in recent years has been used to:
- Provision of a banner advertising hockey at Abindgon for Tilsley Park to make the home ground feel more ‘home’
- Purchase of new Goal-Keeper Bags for kit
- Purchase of hockey club ties for all pupils who represent the school at any level
- Purchase of competition kit for U16 age group
- Purchase new goal-keepers smocks
- Purchase new kit for the 1st XI each year
- Pay for England Hockey coaching for goalkeepers
- Purchase Solar Scoring Equipment
- Purchase an outdoor PA system
- Purchase a Gamma Score Post Pro
Jeanine Ferguson (L6), Sheila Bury (L6), Julie Bignone (L6), Matthew Hooper (L6), Fergus McClusky (L6), Claire Coombs (5th & 4th Year)
The current Hockey Griffens Committee is keen to welcome new members, particularly parents/guardians from those year groups currently under represented. Potential members are most welcome to attend a committee meeting and meet everyone before committing themselves. If you are interested in joining please contact [email protected].