The Hockey Griffens has been established to support hockey at Abingdon and ensure that our boys have the best opportunity to enjoy this exciting sport at school.
We are here to:
- Raise the profile of hockey both in and outside of the school
- Fundraise to support hockey for all boys who wish to play at Abingdon
- Ensure that the hockey side-lines offer a friendly, inclusive environment so that all parents and visitors can enjoy the sport
- Hold an annual Hockey Griffens Awards and Fundraising Dinner as well as other social events throughout the hockey term, to unite boys, coaches and parents.
Hockey already has a highly successful track record at Abingdon, recent successes include:
- 1st XI 100% win record for 2018 and 2019
- Regular representation at GB U16 and U18 levels
- Strong representation at County and Regional level
- Large numbers of boys playing at local clubs
- Regular winners of ISHL leagues
We want to help build on this enviable level of success and foster a love of hockey that will stay with our boys well into their adulthood. Some of the ways that we plan on achieving this include helping with tour costs, purchasing equipment, funding England hockey coaching and umpire courses for boys and ensuring that any boy who plays hockey at Abingdon feels that his achievement is rewarded and recognised.
In order to achieve this, 2022 sees the launch of the Hockey Griffens Membership, and we sincerely hope that many of our hockey parents will want to support the association by joining. Annual family membership costs £35, and all membership fees will be directly invested into the development of hockey at Abingdon.
To join, simply complete this google form and the membership fees will be added to your next termly bill.
As parents you can invariably find us on the side-lines, cheering on the boys. Please do come and find one of us if you have any questions regarding the Hockey Griffens, or drop us an email on [email protected].
Historical Fund Usage
Money raised by the Association through fundraising dinners in recent years has been used to:
- Purchase new goal-keepers smocks
- Purchase new kit for the 1st XI each year
- Pay for England Hockey coaching for goalkeepers
- Purchase Solar Scoring Equipment
- Purchase an outdoor PA system
- Purchase a Gamma Score Post Pro
Jeanine Ferguson (5th Year), Peter Conway (5th Year), Sheila Bury (5th Year) snd Julie Bignone (5th Year).
The current Hockey Griffens Committee is keen to welcome new members, particularly parents/guardians from those year groups currently under represented. Potential members are most welcome to attend a committee meeting and meet everyone before committing themselves. If you are interested in joining please contact [email protected].