This week's mailing is:
- To parents of pupils in fourth, fifth and Upper sixth year – Sailing Club
- To parents of pupils in fourth year studying Drama – Theatre Trip
- To parents of pupils in fourth, fifth and Lower sixth year – Marine Biology Diving Expedition
- To parents of pupils in sixth year studying Spanish – Theatre Trip
Reminder – Open Day: Saturday 28 September – 9.30am-12.30pm
Open Day is an occasion for all the family, with activities, displays and demonstrations about all aspects of the School. The Day runs from 9.30 until 12.30pm. All boys, EXCEPT first years who are not involved in an activity such as an orchestra or band, are expected to attend and should arrive at School no later than 8.45am to register before beginning their Open Day activities. Boys on school buses should go straight to registration when their bus arrives. Request for absence on this day should, as usual, be made to the housemaster, as for a single weekday absence. For boys wishing to miss School sports fixtures, parents should write to the Headmaster, as usual, copying in the Director of Sport and PE, Pete Bignell. For boys who use the joint bus service, all the morning routes will be operating the weekday schedule running 30 minutes later than usual. For the return journey, the weekday 5.20pm service will depart on all usual routes from the coach park at 1pm.
For 3rd Year Parents: First World War Battlefields
Information letter about the Third Year First World War Battlefields trip in April 2020 is attached. Please read and sign up if you want your son to go on the trip. It is an excellent opportunity to see the First World War Battlefields of Northern France and is run by the school with Anglia Battlefields guides.
For 3rd Year Parents – ASPA Event
ASPA Mexican event for Third Year parents, Saturday 5 October – for further information and to book your tickets please click here. Ticket sales will CLOSE on Sunday 29 September in order for us to get numbers to the Catering Team. ‘
Help needed: mock medicine and vet interview
Each year Abingdon offers its Upper Sixth medicine and vet applicants the chance to have a practice interview with someone from the profession. We rely on volunteers, parents and OAs to staff this event. This year it will be held on Thursday 7 November from 5.30pm to 8.30pm (although we can be flexible on timings). If you feel you can help out then please email Ben Whitworth. We aim to run a mock Multiple Mini Interview session (MMI) and any experience of these would be welcome.
- Alexander Lessons start next week – Thursday 26 September. Following my recent message, I am happy to let parents know that the Alexander Technique lessons are starting next Thursday. If you would like your son to have a taster lesson please email the Director of Music, Michael Stinton.
- Music Society AGM and Solo Concert Platform No 1 – Tuesday 24 September
Please consider joining us at the first musical event of the academic year – our solo concert platform at 6pm is preceded by a very brief ASMS AGM at 5.45pm in the CMR. All are welcome and admission is free.
The OA Club – Reminder
The OA Club warmly invites parents working in the following sectors to join OAs at a career networking reception on Wednesday 2 October 2019.
- Public Sector
This event will be held at the National Liberal Club, Whitehall Place, London SW1A 2HE from 6pm to 8.30pm. Please register your interest via this form. For further information, please email Alison Lester.
Driving along roads close to School
Parents are asked to consider local residents when driving round the narrow roads close to School, and also to adhere to the speed limit of 20mph along Park Road and Park Crescent, which are private roads.
Abingdon Box Office
News from the week:
- U13 Rugby Festival
- Boarders’ Orientation in Oxford
- Squash Success
- Robotics Club
- Abingdon celebrates three leading contemporary writers
- Canoe Polo Development Academy Selection Weekend
- New sailors practise skills
- Mathematics Sixth Form Lecture
- Golf victories over Radley
- Boarders make apple juice
- Rugby Week 2