This week’s mailing is:
- To parents of Lower Sixth pupils – UCAS 360 degrees evening
School bank details:
The ingenuity of cyber criminals and the reality of ransom attacks are unfortunately increasing significantly. Please be reassured that we continue to work hard to defend the school but parents at independent schools are often targeted, and in particular are told that the school’s bank account has changed. To be clear, we have no plans at all to change our bank details. Should you receive any correspondence suggesting a change in bank details, please contact Abingdon School directly by phone and ask to be put through to the relevant member of staff who will be able to guide and advise you on the appropriate next steps.
- Friday 18 June at 6pm – Lower School Gala Concert streaming We have taken the decision to withhold live audiences for now so this recorded concert, featuring soloists, ensembles and choir items, will be available by means of a link in next Friday’s mailing and on the website. Please join us to hear some of the musical talent in our Lower School.
- Thursday 1 July at 7pm – Summer Concert At the moment, at least, the plan is for this event to be recordings put together and made available on the day – and it should also be available on the website. We have some exciting performances to share with you – Dvorak (New World Symphony finale), Tchaikovsky (from the String Serenade), a Shostakovich piano trio movement and two arias from Bach’s Magnificat with Leavers, Owen Ravden (countertenor) and Andreas Lo (bass). With great delight we will also be giving the premiere of a new orchestral work, “The Mountain”, composed by A level musician, Nick Raptakis. We will also mark the retirement of Head of Strings, Mariette Pringle, who leaves us with a great legacy after over 30 years of violin teaching at Abingdon.
- Monday 5 July at 5.15pm – Celebration of the Arts – “All but Classical” We hope that this outdoor event can be enjoyed by our pupils outdoors on the day – and we hope to record it, too, so that it can be shared and enjoyed more widely. Expect jazz, rock, gospel and close harmony singing – and much more.
- Tuesday 6 July at 4pm – An Organ Recital in Chapel with Nick Raptakis. This is a late addition to our offering and is a chance to hear a senior U6 musician who has been playing the organ for just 18 months but has made remarkable progress. We hope that this can be a live event in Chapel, but if not, again it will be a recording available on the website. Please keep an eye on the Box Office for the latest news on this.
Pride Month, from the Head of English, Matthew Coolin:
To mark Pride Month, the English Department has produced a list of great novels that explore LGBT+ themes. It is available to view here.
Pronouns in email signatures – proud to be woke
In this school blog Mark Hindley, Deputy Head Pastoral, discusses how changes in language terminology can help to create an environment that supports inclusivity. Read the latest school blog.
News from the Week:
- Enjoying half term
- CCF leavers’ final parade
- Abingdon’s ATOM Festival 2021
- Diary of a Drama
- Bones and muscles workshop
- Partial Solar Eclipse
- OX14 Learning Partnership Developments
- ASiP launches OABJ
Food Menu for the coming week – Week 2
Please continue to consult the School Calendar for up to date information.
Here is the link to previous weekly mailings.