This week’s mailing is:
- To parents of pupils in Middle and Upper School – Confirmation Letter
- To parents of Upper Sixth pupils – Griffen Ball
- To all parents – Foodbank Collection
- To all parents – Safer Internet Day
The Headmaster wrote to all parents, via an email on Tuesday 28 January, outlining the measures the School is taking with regard to the coronavirus outbreak. We will issue any updates to this letter via the weekly mailing or by email if the advice we are taking changes. We continue to monitor the situation very closely and we are following the advice of Public Health England (PHE) and the Department of Health & Social Care.
As half term approaches, we ask that pupils and families avoid any direct contact with anyone from mainland China and other coronavirus affected areas. Boys who are in direct contact with people from affected areas may be asked to take a period of quarantine in which the boy would not be allowed back to school. The quarantine would be the responsibility of the family to organise and not something the School could undertake.
Please consider supporting the events that are coming up in the next two weeks before half term and in the week after as indicated below. We are particularly keen to have some support at the charity concert in Oxford next Wednesday 5 February. Of course this is to support a very worthy cause but should also reveal the quality of music that is happening at a number of local schools – not just at Abingdon. You will not be disappointed!
- Inter-School Charity Concert – Care across Continents – Wednesday 5 February at 7.00pm at St Michael’s, Lonsdale Road, Summertown, Oxford.
Alongside several schools, including St Edward’s, Cherwell and others, Abingdon will be represented by two of our senior ensembles – the Senior Piano Quartet and Brass Quintets. This should be a wonderful and inspiring event raising funds to support refugees in Africa. Please see the poster and come and cheer them on! Please note that tickets need to be purchased in advance using this link (tickets are not available at the door).
- Martin Speake International Jazz Quartet Concert – Monday 24 February at 8pm.
This is an amazing opportunity to hear outstanding jazz of the quality to be found in London’s Ronnie Scott’s, but on our own patch! It should be a must for all our jazzers and is strongly recommended for all. Please share the poster with your friends and buy your tickets online using this link.
- Annual Chamber Music Concert – Wednesday 26 February at 6pm in the Amey Theatre. The concert will feature a number of our chamber ensembles across all the instrument families, particularly strings. Admission is free and we’ll be really glad to see you!
5th year Mocks and Parents’ Evening
The presentations Mr May, Mr Lomax and Mr Crisp gave during Tuesday evening’s Parents’ Evening (on mocks overview/ Easter revision and Sixth Form options) will be sent separately via email today.
Reminder for all parents about coats
Please ensure your son has a winter coat for trips and away sporting fixtures, particularly in these winter months. If travelling to a sports fixture in team kit, please ensure your son has a tracksuit too.
Abingdon Box Office:
- ROH Live: La Boheme – 2pm, Sunday 2 February
- SHSK & Abingdon: My Fair Lady – 7pm. Wednesday 5 – Friday 7 February
- Banff Mountain Film Festival World Tour – 7.30pm, Wednesday 5 February
News from the Week:
- Cookery Club
- Inspiring Visiting Speaker
- Hockey Week 3
- Football Week 3
- Physics Factor Seminar
- Amahl and The Night Visitors
- Environmental Initiatives
- School’s Mace Debating Championship
- Literary Society Lecture
- History Lecture
- House of Lords Engineering Trip
- Lower School Chess Tournament
- ASP Badger Workshop
- Engineering and Computer Science Trip
- Schools Challenge
- Prodrive Factory Trip
- Chamber Music Workshop
- Solo Concert Platform
Food Menu for the coming week – Week 2
Here is the link to previous weekly mailings.
For forthcoming events, here is the link to the School Calendar.