This week’s mailing is:
- To parents of Third Year pupils – Preference for Fourth Year Subjects
From the Headmaster to all parents:
I’ve recorded a short message below to mark the end of the first half of term.
I hope all our students are able to enjoy a good break over half term and that you too are able to find some time for rest and recuperation.
Best wishes, Mike Windsor
Parents of L6: After Abingdon webinar recordings
Should you have missed the webinars on ‘Oxbridge’ and ‘Alternatives to university’, you can access them by following the links below.
Oxbridge webinar (After Abingdon 8 Feb 2021) This link takes you directly to Richard Taylor’s presentation.
Alternatives to university This link takes you to the pages on Firefly, which includes the webinar from the After Abingdon event on 8 February 2021 as well as a range of other informative resources about the many post-school options open to students. These pages are accessible by Abingdon School students only, so you will need to access them sitting alongside your child. If your child has any questions about after school options, please encourage them to contact Head of Careers, Michael Triff: firstname.lastname@example.org.
5th Year, L6, U6 Parents: Abingdon Careers Convention: Friday, 12 March 2021, 6:30-9:00pm, on Zoom. From Michael Triff, Head of Career Guidance
Earlier this week, your child will have received an email inviting them to book onto the annual Abingdon Independent Schools’ Careers Convention on Friday evening 12 March 2021, 6:30-9:00pm on Zoom. This careers event is jointly run by Abingdon School, Our Lady’s Abingdon, and St Helen and St Katharine. There is a non-negotiable deadline to book for this event: Friday 5 March 2021. If your child fails to book by this deadline, they may not attend. There is substantial complexity to running this event on Zoom and staff need the entirety of the following week to work out all the logistics. The format of the event is that of a careers fair, with students able to join small discussion groups facilitated by career representatives. Concurrent with the career fair will be talks on employability skills, apprenticeships, CV writing, and how parents can support careers exploration at home. The event is compulsory for 5th year students and optional for 6th form students, all of whom must book by the deadline. Parents are welcome to attend with their child, but should not make their own separate bookings, please.
- The 45 minute Sixth Form Performance Evening happened yesterday and we are delighted to share the link to the Youtube recording here. We enjoyed a number of terrific performances, including three from one of our Heads of School, Andreas Lo (violin, voice and piano). My sincere thanks to all the pupils and their accompanists for their eleven excellent performances.
- Over the half term holiday we hope that our musicians will be busy enjoying their music. Anyone who can record a solo piece is warmly invited to share the video with us here at school. We have a number of concerts coming up after half term. – the Lower School Lunchtime Concert on Friday 26 February, the Solo Concert Platform No 4 for all years groups on Wednesday 17 March and for the 5th year performances specifically on Thursday 18 March. All these concerts will be available as recordings after the event.
Ultimate Activity Camps February Half Term Fun Pack
Whilst Ultimate Activity Camps are not running actual camps on the campus this coming half term, our super energetic operations team have been busy putting an Ultimate Activity February Half Term Fun Pack together for parents to use and hopefully enjoy with their children over half term. Within the pack are links to sport, play and art ideas and resources we have put together, videos, online content and competitions as well as links to our LIVE Online Cookery and Technology workshops that children can join in at home this half term.
News from the week:
- ISC promotes ASiP’s mentoring
- Inspired by Andy Goldsworthy
- Giving Day Challenge
- Women and Girls in Science
- England Team Selection
- Les fêtes françaises
- Harvesting environmental data
- French crêpe challenge
- Sixth Form Performance Evening
- Photo Phridays
- LS Chess Tournament
- Partnership Yoga
- Chinese artwork
Please continue to consult the School Calendar for up to date information.
Here is the link to previous weekly mailings.