This week's mailing:
- To parents of Third year boys studying German – German Exchange 2017/18
- To parents of Fourth year boys studying Spanish – Spanish Exchange 2017/18
- To parents of the U6th boys in Southwell Sander's House – Southwell-Sander’s Leavers’ Meal & Consent Form
End of Term Reports
These will be posted to the parent portal by the end of the weekend at the latest.
Term Calendar and Key Dates
As you will be aware the School is not printing a hard-copy calendar so parents should refer to the online calendar wihch is kept regularly up to date. Any amendments to Summer Term 2017 events made after today will be indicated clearly. Parents may wish to consult the online calendar and ther term dates page now to remind themselves of the beginnings and ends of terms and half-terms.
Start of Next Term
Boarders return on the evening of Monday 24 April. Term begins for all Tuesday 25 April, with registration and tutor time at 8.35am, and the normal Tuesday Week A timetable starting period 1. Boys should bring their kit for the sport they expect to do. The next Weekly Mailing will be sent out on Friday 28 April 2017.
- Early next term – Spring Concert on Friday 28 April at 7pm – I would like to let parents know that our music gets underway very early on the first Friday of next term with our Spring Concert. This features all our senior bands and orchestras, including of Grieg's piano concerto, performed by Alexander Reynolds in the Upper Sixth. Please do join us for that concert.
- Music Technology Lessons at Abingdon School from April 2017 – Mr Alex Hehir, our Music Technology teacher has said that there are some gaps in his timetable for some new pupils to take up lessons in Music Technology using the department's latest state-of-the-art equipment. The lessons deal with how music/sound is composed, recorded and produced within the digital studio environment. This will involve the use of a variety of software packages and hardware equipment to unlock the vast potential of recording musical ideas and sound.
Recent pupils have gone onto courses and careers in commercial music and sound recording and an understanding of the use of this essential technology will give future candidates an important edge. The lessons are offered on the same basis as individual music lessons, which currently cost £18.75 for a 30 minute weekly lesson. Places are limited so are offered on a first come, first served basis. For more information, please contact the music department at [email protected]
High Performance Rugby Camp for boys aged 11-16 years, 17 – 21 July 2017, 9.00 am – 3.00pm
This is a high-quality, four-day coaching course led by ex-professional coaches and current academy and county level coaches. Learn and develop existing and new skills, whilst experiencing the day to day life of a professional. Core skills, such as catch and pass, tackle, breakdown, support, back play and set piece play will be covered in a fun, safe and enjoyable environment. This is aimed at participants who are currently playing, or aspiring to play at first team level at their school and clubs, Further information is available here.
· Skills workshop
· Becoming an elite player
· Injury prevention
· Sports nutrition
· Rugby specific physical conditioning
· Daily post-training hydrotherapy
NT Live: Twelfth Night – Thursday 6 April 7pm
A ship is wrecked on the rocks. Viola is washed ashore but her twin brother Sebastian is lost. Determined to survive on her own, she steps out to explore a new land. So begins a whirlwind of mistaken identity and unrequited love. The nearby households of Olivia and Orsino are overrun with passion. Even Olivia's upright housekeeper Malvolia is swept up in the madness. Where music is the food of love, and nobody is quite what they seem, anything proves possible.
Simon Godwin (NT Live: Man and Superman, NT Live: The Beaux' Stratagem) directs this joyous new production with Tamsin Greig (Friday Night Dinner, Black Books, Episodes) as a transformed Malvolia. an ensemble cast that includes Daniel Rigby (Flowers, Jericho), Tamara Lawrence (Undercover), Doon Mackichan (Smack the Pony) and Daniel Ezra (The Missing, Undercover).
Rugby – Japanese Tour Dinner
On Saturday 20 May in the dining hall at school there is senior rugby tour dinner. Tickets £75 per person. This is the major fundraising event for our senior tour to Japan this coming summer. If you would like to attend and support the evening you should contact Matthew Gold via email. There will be a big auction and a guest (prizes and speaker will be annouched very soon).