This week’s mailing is:
- Philosophy and Theology trip to Istanbul, October 2022
- To Sixth Form pupils studying Politics – Trip to Washington DC and New York, October 2022
From the Headmaster to all parents:
On Wednesday night I enjoyed catching up with about two hundred Old Abingdonians (OAs), as well as former and current members of staff, at the annual OA Club drinks in London. It was great to see the different generations, including some of our leavers from 2020 and 2021 who are studying in London. I’m delighted that they are enjoying life at university after the uncertainties and challenges of the last couple of years.
Our OAs offer fantastic support to our careers programme and last Friday the Lower Sixth benefited from the opportunity to meet up with OAs (and some current parents) to learn more about different careers and the routes into them. The event gave a valuable insight into the rapidly evolving world of careers and I hope that it opened the eyes of our students to the exciting variety of opportunities that are available.
There’s a busy weekend of badminton, fencing and cross-country ahead. On Saturday, we also have a block rugby fixture against the Royal Grammar School in Guildford, where I spent five happy years as Deputy Head earlier in my career. I wish all the best to everyone involved and hope we come away with the bragging rights!
Best wishes, Mike Windsor
- Letter from NHS Oxford Health Immunisation Service – Covid vaccinations for children aged 12-15 – First Dose.
To parents of Lower Sixth students who wish to drop a subject, from the Upper Master
I have been talking to Lower Sixth students today about potentially dropping a subject and have written to them today with details of the process they need to go through. Please find the details here. You will have received your child’s November test results today and have the opportunity to discuss their progress and prospects with subject teachers on Tuesday/Wednesday. I suggest that the rest of the process starts at this point, when everyone is fully informed. Nick O’Doherty.
Saturday Bus Routes: Not operating from January 2022
After a review of the Saturday bus service throughout this term it is clear that the high levels of usage seen in previous years is no longer the case. In fact across the 6 buses that run across the counties each Saturday the average total number of pupils each week is 14 (2.3 per bus). With this in mind, from January 2022 we will no longer operate this service.
Whilst we are aware this may increase the logistics for families on a Saturday we still feel that representing the School on a Saturday is a core part of our wider curriculum, and would ask parents to support their child in this. We are certainly seeing more parents lift sharing on a Saturday, which we would strongly encourage this to aid the environment. If you wish to discuss this further, please contact Pete Bignell, Director of Sport.
- Friday 3 December Christmas Concert at 7pm – Parents should be aware, please, that tickets for the Christmas Concert are now SOLD OUT. If you would like to be put on the waiting list for tickets, please complete this form. We will be in touch if/when tickets become available on a first come first served basis. We are currently arranging for the concert to be live streamed. If you would like access to this, you will be able to book for a link on the Christmas Concert booking page: please click on the link which says ‘online’ next to the time and date. A link will then be emailed out to you closer to the performance. The concert features items from 1st, 2nd and Chamber Orchestras, Big Band and Concert Band, Gospel Choir and the whole 1st Year Choir. Pupils should remember to wear white shirts please and we expect the concert to end between 9.15 and 9.30pm. All performers will be provided with a school supper before the concert unless they decide to bring their own pre-concert sustenance and tell us so.
Football pre-season training – Thursday 30 December at Tilsley Park:
- 3rd Year: 9am-10:30am
- 4th Year: 10:30am-12pm
- 5th Year: 12pm-1:30pm
- Sixth Form: 1:30pm-3:00pm
To book a place on the Football pre-season training, click on this link.
- The Sponsored Walk. Many thanks to all those who have donated towards the sponsored walk: our current total is at £25,252.88. The donations website closes on the Tuesday 30 November so this is the last call for any outstanding donations. https://uk.virginmoneygiving.com/AbingdonSchoolCharitiesCommittee
- Home Clothes and Christmas Jumper Day. All students and staff are invited to participate in a home-clothes day on Tuesday 7 December. Donations of £2 are suggested and will be collected by tutors. Christmas jumpers are encouraged but not essential.
- Toy Drive. In partnership with Abingdon Community Events we are collecting toys to donate to local children who might otherwise go without this Christmas. Between now and the Saturday 4 December we are looking for BRAND NEW toy donations for children aged 1-12 and teenager gifts up to age 16. ACE are particularly looking for gifts suitable for older children and teenagers. Please drop all donations at Faringdon Lodge or Park Lodge Receptions.
**Important points to note**
We are looking for gifts that are brand NEW only.
Please do not donate used items as we are unable to gift these.
Please do not wrap your gift.
Please stick to a budget between £10-£20 for each gift, to ensure fairness.
Please avoid toys associated with violence (guns/swords) due to the various backgrounds of the children.
Please avoid anything with reference to Mummy/Daddy as we work with many children who have suffered bereavement or are victims of abuse.
Please do not gift video games or DVDs as many children will not have the equipment to play these on.
Abingdon Box Office:
- POSTPONED – Soveida Ensemble Charity Concert supporting MIND and Afghan Refugee Children. We are sorry to announce that due to unforeseen circumstances, the Charity Concert supporting MIND and Afghan Refugees tomorrow evening (Saturday 27 November) has been postponed. We will be announcing a new date shortly. All ticket holders will be contacted with regards to transferring their tickets to the new date. For up to date information, please see www.ameytheatre.co.uk
- Ocean Film Festival World Tour – Tuesday 30 November at 7:30pm – The Ocean Film Festival World Tour is back for 2021 with a brand-new collection of the world’s most incredible ocean films! Meet surfers, paddlers, divers and oceanographers who have dedicated their lives to answering the call of the ocean in the wildest corners of the planet.
- Christmas with André – Monday 6 December at 7pm – The King of the Waltz brings you a festive spectacular from his newly created Winter Palace in his hometown of Maastricht. Immerse yourself in the spirit of the season while singing and dancing away to lovely Christmas carols, romantic waltzes and beautiful melodies like Jingle Bells, O Holy Night, Hallelujah, a show-stopping performance of Walking in the Air and many more! Christmas with André is guaranteed to warm your hearts and get you in the festive spirit.
News from the Week:
- Abingdon schools launch OX14 Partnership
- Joint Choral Society Concert
- Jack Wills Founder
- National Schools Success
- Stonehenge trip
- Classics Lecture Evening
- Lacrosse vs St Helen’s
- Violin Masterclass
- Water Polo vs Harrow
Food Menu for the coming week – Week 2
Please continue to consult the School Calendar for up to date information.
Here is the link to previous weekly mailings.