Message from the Headmaster
We are very proud of our Old Abingdonian community, and the rich variety of interests, aptitudes and achievements that it encompasses. A particularly eminent OA is Professor Sir Martin Landray (OA 1987), who played a key role in the response to the pandemic by designing the Recovery Trial to discover the best treatments for Covid. As a result, he is credited with saving over a million lives. Sir Martin was recently interviewed by Jim Al-Khalili on the programme A Life Scientific; it’s well worth a listen.
We also welcomed Alex Smith (OA 1992) back to the Amey Theatre. Alex spoke to our scholars about his pathway to becoming MD at VW Group in the UK and the current challenges facing car manufacturers and designers. As a particular treat, Alex brought along the new Audi RS e-tron GT which caused quite a stir around the School and extreme car envy on my part.
Speaking of Old Abingdonians, I’m looking forward to welcoming our Leavers and their parents to the Griffen Ball tomorrow night. This will be a wonderful way to celebrate their contribution to the School and to wish them well for the future.
Best wishes, Mike Windsor
- Rugby Pre-Season 2022. Please find here the summer pre-season rugby schedule for age groups. Before the end of term, a pre-season sign-up letter will be sent out to all families.
- OA Rugby. On Saturday 3 September 2022, our annual OA Rugby match (11 am KO) will take place on Waste Court Field. Spectators are welcome. Further information can be found on the OA Club website. OAs to sign-up via links on Social Media and the OA office mailing.
- Mouthguard Fittings. Opro dentists will be coming in to do mouth guard fittings on Tuesday 6 September between 1.30pm and 4.30pm and Thursday 8 September between 1pm and 3pm in the Sports Centre. First, Second, Third, and Fourth Years will have their fittings during their sports lesson on Tuesday. Third, Fifth Years, Lower Sixth, and Upper Sixth should attend when available between 1.30 pm and 3 pm either day. An email with a link to an order form will be sent to all parents later this month.
- Music events:
- Music Tour Tuesday 4 – Thursday 13 July 2023. Just before the Summer Concert on Friday last week, we were able to send the online sign-up for the proposed tour to France and Belgium in July 2023. May I remind parents of eligible members of our First Orchestra and Big Band to use the link to sign up for this tour? Although we had over 60 positive responses this term, it will be on this basis that we decide to commit to this exciting tour to Abingdon’s twin towns next year.
- See other upcoming Music events.
- Stevensons uniform suppliers. Please see this link with information for parents about booking online appointments.
- OX14 Learning Partnership Upcoming Events. The Summer 2022 Learning Partnership newsletter is available to view here.
- News from the week
- Food menu for the following week – Week 1
- School calendar
- Weekly mailing archive
- Box Office:
- Rock Choir Summer Concert – Saturday 23 July at 7:30pm. Come and join Rock Choir Oxfordshire in an evening of song at their 2022 Summer Concert. Members from Abingdon, Didcot, Oxford, Wantage and Witney Rock Choirs will be accompanied on stage by a live band, singing well-known songs such as ‘Don’t Stop Me Now’ and ‘Footloose’ that will definitely get you dancing in your seats; and there won’t be a dry eye in the house when they sing you songs including ‘A Thousand Years’ and ‘Hallelujah’ – there is something for everybody.
- See other upcoming Box Office events.
We still have places available on the following summer holiday camps – Book online today.
- Wasps Rugby Skills Camp: Monday 18-Friday 22 July. Participants: Aged 12-16 years. This is a high-quality coaching course led by Premiership Rugby Club Wasps. The sessions run by Wasps Community Coaches will be fun and engaging whilst challenging both the participants’ technical and tactical skills. Participants will learn and develop core skills such as catch and pass, tackle, breakdown, support, back play and set-piece play. Click here for further information and to book.
- Multi Sport Camp: Monday 22-Thursday 25 August. Participants: Aged 11-12 years. This camp is aimed at our new Year 7 joiners. Enjoy and experience a wide range of different sports throughout the week, led by qualified PE specialists. Each day will comprise of a range of different sports, activities, games and competitions to keep children active throughout the day. Click here for further information and to book.
- High Performance Rugby, Athletics and Wellness Camp: Monday 22-Thursday 25 August. Participants: Aged 8-15 years. This camp is led by Sy Wiggall, who is a Strength and Mental Performance Coach with Oxford Harlequins and founder of the Oxford Youth Strength and Conditioning Academy. This camp is designed to teach aspiring young athletes to move correctly, efficiently and safely, while building full body strength and balance. Participants will be shown how to fuel themselves with the correct nutrition, to breathe correctly and to help them to achieve a mindset for a happy, positive and successful sporting career. Click here for further information and to book.
All of our holiday camps can be booked directly through the Abingdon Sports and Leisure website. Childcare vouchers are accepted as payment.