Abingdon welcomes applications from boys wishing to enter the sixth form as day or boarding pupils. We receive applications from boys attending a very wide variety of schools ranging from the local independent and maintained sector schools to those attending schools overseas.
The sixth form admissions process takes place between November and early March of the year immediately preceding entry. Please contact us at any time before this if you have any questions about our sixth form entry. Listed below are the details of the sixth form entry procedure as well as the key dates for sixth form entry in 2017.
- Overseas admissions to Sixth Form
- Boarding entry
- Scholarships and exhibitions
- Financial assistance
- Key dates
Sixth form boys are usually aged 16 on 1 September in the year of entry. As far as possible boys should be registered by November in the year prior to entry.
Parents of overseas boys seeking admission to the sixth form should refer to the overseas admissions page containing more detailed information relevant to overseas assessments and transfer.
Both weekly and full boarding places are available in the sixth form.
- Following registration candidates will be asked to provide further information about choice of A level subjects.
- We will ask a boy's current school for a reference.
- Academic assessments and interviews take place from November. However most locally based candidates, including those wishing to sit our academic sixth form scholarship, attend their interviews and assessments in the Lent term (February). Please feel free to contact the Admissions Department to discuss dates for assessment.
- Candidates will have an interview with the Upper Master or a member of senior academic staff as well as at least one subject interview. Candidates whose first language is not English will usually be interviewed by our Head of EFL.
- Candidates will be offered places based on the results of their interviews and assessments, and in the case of those taking GCSEs, the strength of their predicted grades. For those taking GCSEs Abingdon has a minimum grade requirement for entry to the Sixth form of A grades in the subjects chosen for A level study in addition to achieving a minimum of 3 A grades and 4 B grades. Please contact the Director of Admissions for further information.
- Overseas candidates may take their examination papers overseas by prior arrangement and papers may be sent from November onwards. Interviews for overseas candidates may also be conducted using Skype or a similar medium. However we always encourage candidates to visit the School if at all possible and we do reserve the right to ask individuals to attend the School for assessment when it is considered necessary.
A number of scholarships and exhibitions are offered at this entry point.
Bursaries are available and can be up to 100% of the fees. All bursaries are means-tested.
Offers of places are usually sent two weeks after interviews with the first offers made in December. Parents will be asked to give a firm acceptance of the place and to pay an acceptance fee which will be credited to the parents’ final account when their son leaves the School. Candidates whose places are conditional upon GCSE results (or their equivalent) should inform the Registrar of their results as soon as they are known.
We welcome visits at any time during the admissions procedure. Should you wish to discuss the entry procedures further before visiting us, please contact the Admission's office at email@example.com or telephone +44 1235 849041.
Personal visit – tour, discussion with Director of Admissions/other staff
|1 October 2016||Open Day at Abingdon (all welcome)|
|25 February 2017||Sixth Form examinations and interviews (including Sixth Form Academic scholarship)
(Report and reference to be received from candidate’s current school prior to assessment)
Offers sent out approximately two weeks after assessment.
Acceptances and acceptance fee to be received within 2 weeks.
|24 August 2017||GCSE results to be given to the Admissions Office for confirmation (as appropriate)|
Jane Jørgensen, Director of Admissions