Message from the Headmaster
Our end-of-term events are now in full swing as we look forward to our orchestras and big band performing at the Sheldonian Theatre in Oxford tomorrow night (Friday 30 June) before they head off on tour to Belgium and France.
I also enjoyed our annual Celebration of the Arts last night. The Art department was open so that everyone could savour some superb work from our Fifth Year and Upper Sixth artists. I’m also grateful to the team from the Amey Theatre for setting up a stage on the bricks outside Big School which provided a beautiful backdrop for a night of rock, pop and jazz. It was great to see groups from SHSK and our local partner schools making the most of the opportunity to perform. It really was a celebration of the place that the arts hold at Abingdon and a chance to appreciate the great talent making its way through the School.
Preparations are also firmly underway for the Griffen Ball on Saturday evening when we say farewell to our Leavers and their parents. I’m sure it will be a memorable event and my thanks go to my colleagues who will make it all possible. I look forward to my annual encounter with the Leavers on the dodgems…
Best wishes, Mike Windsor
- OA Touch Rugby. On Saturday 2 September 2023, our annual OA Touch Rugby match (11 am KO) will take place on Waste Court Field. Spectators are welcome. Further information can be found on the OA Club website. OAs to sign-up via links on Social Media and the OA office mailing.
- Mouthguard Fittings. Opro dentists will be coming in to do mouth guard fittings on Tuesday 5 September between 1.30pm and 4.30pm and Thursday 7 September between 1pm and 3.30pm in the Sports Centre. First, Second and Fourth Years will have their fittings during their sports lesson on Tuesday and Third Years in theirs on Thursday. Fifth Years, Lower Sixth and Upper Sixth should attend when available on either day. An email with a link to an order form will be sent to all parents later this month.
- Tomorrow’s Pre-tour concert at The Sheldonian Theatre at 7.30pm. We are looking forward to seeing everyone at our concert tomorrow evening which will feature performances by the touring orchestra and Big Band, together with a senior trio of woodwind and strings – and our Second Orchestra, who also have an exciting opportunity to play in this historic building. We would be grateful if attendees could have their electronic ticket ready to show as they enter the building. The concert starts at 7.30pm and should be finished by 9.30/9.45pm.
- Michaelmas Term Music Calendar – dates for your diary. Please click here to see the music diary planned for the Michaelmas Term 2023
- OX14 Learning Partnership Upcoming Events and Newsletter
- News from the week
- Food menu for the following week – Week 2
- School calendar
- Weekly mailing archive
- Box Office: No new additions – see upcoming Box Office events
- Bookings open for our Development Level Tennis Academy – pupils aged 11-15 years. This summer, Abingdon School’s Head Tennis Coach, Martin Butler, will run a development-level tennis camp that promises an enjoyable week full of skill development, gameplay and tactical aspects. This academy is aimed at development-level players who understand the basics of technique and can play competitive points. Please click here for more information. Available dates: Monday 24 – Friday 28 July 2023 – Click here to book. Monday 21 – Friday 25 August 2023 – Click here to book. Childcare vouchers are accepted as payment. Please click here to browse the full range of summer camps available.