This week's mailing is:
- To parents of all third year boys – Bronze Duke of Edinburgh's award applications
- To parents of all third year boys – Bronze Duke of Edinburgh’s award, canoeing expeditions
Annual Data Check
The Annual Data Check forms will be sent on Tuesday 5 June via iSAMS email, please complete and submit by Friday 15 June. The Data Check process has been moved online this year and should be much easier to manage. If you have any queries regarding the process please email the Common Room Secretaries.
GDPR and Abingdon
As you may be aware (from the volume of emails in your inbox alone!), the EU General Data Protection Regulation comes into force today (Friday 25 May) alongside the new UK Data Protection Bill. Abingdon, taking external advice where necessary, has been working hard for well over a year to prepare for the new legislation and we are confident that we have the policies, procedures, consents and security measures in place to fully comply with our obligations as a Data Controller. A new data protection section is available on the school website and this explains, in more detail, the School's policies and procedures in this area. The website also includes links to privacy notices for each section of the School's community.
Henley Royal Regatta – Friday 6 July 2018
Parents, OAs and current and former staff and governors, are invited to the OA Club's strawberries and Pimm's event at the Friends of Abingdon School Boat Club tent in Henley Cricket Club car park during the afternoon tea break (usually between 4pm and 5pm). No RSVP required.
Parents of Lower Sixth boys: UCAS2
A reminder that UCAS2 takes place on Monday 25 June 2018 starting at 5pm. This is an occasion when boys and/or parents can meet with tutor, subject representatives and OAs to discuss university plans. Attendance is not compulsory: boys and parents are free to make use of this opportunity as they wish. Boys will receive further details about arrangements during the week beginning 4 June 2018.
Bring Your Own Device (BYOD) for September 2018
Parents of the current 2nd Year and above are reminded of the school's BYOD scheme. Over the 2018 Michaelmas Term we will be in a position that all Middle and Upper School students will be required to bring an appropriate device into lessons as part of their normal 'kit'. In line with this year, students who will be in the 3rd Year will need a device after the Michaelmas Half Term (although they are welcome to bring one in before if they want). Students in the 4th Year and above should be bringing in suitable devices from the start of term i.e. September 2018. There is an updated Q&A document available and if you have any questions please email Mr Ben Whitworth, Director of eLearning on firstname.lastname@example.org
Some up-coming music events for your diaries.
- Abingdon Fun in the Park – Saturday 2 June at 2pm. The Abingdon Music Centre is organising a “come and play” moment in the Fun in the Park event in the Abbey Grounds at 2pm on the second Saturday of half term. If you would like your children to take part, please see the poster giving more information.
- Junior Instrumental Solo Competition – Wednesday 13 June at 6pm. This competition is open to any boys who have not yet taken their grade 6 music examination. Do come and support them. Our adjudicator is Tim Bennett OA who is Director of Music at Cheam School near Newbury.
- Lower School Gala Concert – Wednesday 20 June at 6pm. This will involve all the boys in the first year and many second years, too. Further information will come from from Mr Cotton nearer the time.
- Summer Concert – Thursday 28 June at 7pm. Our blockbuster summer concert will feature all the main school bands and a final coming together before we depart for the summer. With music ranging from Vivaldi to Mozart, to Tchaikovsky to La La Land, there should be something for everyone.
Do join us!
Summer Courses and Academies Programme 2018
Available at both Abingdon School and Abingdon Prep School. We would like to remind you that our superb Summer Courses and Academies programme is available for parents to browse and book, with a number of new and exciting courses recently added to the range. This includes a high performance rugby camp, design & technology camp, swimming, climbing, squash, rowing, a junior orchestral course and much more. These courses provide an opportunity for students to develop new or existing skills in an environment designed and equipped to an exceptionally high standard. All courses are led by qualified, experienced and DBS-checked coaches and staff. We also have Ultimate Activity Camp and Academies of Sport running exceptional courses and inspiring sport coaching camps throughout Summer, which are running at both Prep School and Senior School. The full range of Courses and Academies can be found listed in this brochure. To book, please complete the online registration form on the Abingdon School Enterprises website.
Coach Park in the morning
Just a reminder: please can parents NOT use the Coach Park drop off in the mornings. We have 25 coaches dropping off between 8.15 and 8.35 so it becomes very unsafe if there are also cars using the same space.