This week's mailing is:
- To parents of all lower school boys – Theatre trip to see 'Loserville'
- To parents of all fifth year boys – GCSE Controlled assessment/NEAs 2018-2019
- To parents of all fifth year boys – Tentative preference for sixth form subjects
- To parents of boys in first year to Upper Sixth – SHSK Government inspector drama rehearsal schedule
For all Upper and Lower Sixth Biologists…
The Biology department are running another trip to the highly popular Biology Science Live A Level Lectures on Wednesday 16 January 2019 in Birmingham Town Hall. “The Lectures provide an exciting day specifically designed for A-level Biology students. The chance to hear some of the best scientists who are working at the cutting edge of their specialisms. The scientists are carefully chosen for their ability to communicate with students of this age in a direct and exciting way. Help improve your Science A-level results with two sessions from a specialist Biology examiner.” The trip will leave by coach from the Abingdon School Coach park at 8am, returning around 6pm, outside the timings for the normal School buses. The event and transport will cost £43 per place. Boys should wear presentable home clothes, and a basic School packed lunch will be provided, but there are some local venues available to the boys for lunch if they want to bring some money for additional food… I also suggest bringing their own water. Places are limited to 15 each from the Upper and Lower Sixth Biology year groups, and priority will be given to those who didn't attend the event last year..if you are unsure please contact Su McRae to clarify eligibility. Please sign in and use the appropriate WisePay link to pay and confirm your place by 5pm Friday 30 November 2018:
To Fifth year parents: Sixth Form options evening, last Monday.
We hope 5th form parents found our 'Towards the Sixth Form' evening on Monday helpful. Please do remember that it represented really just the first step in an on-going conversation, to be continued next term after mock exams. Mr May's presentation from Monday evening can be found in pdf form here.
Parents' Carol Service
All parents and boys are warmly invited to the carol service at St Michael's Church, Park Road on Thursday 13 December at 6.30pm. The service will be a shortened form of the traditional lessons and carols from King's College, Cambridge. The boarding community will be in attendance and the outstanding Chapel Choir will sing. Do join us for this delightful and inspiring occasion.
- Japan and Hong Kong Music Tour 30 June to 10 July 2019. Parents of participants should note that a newsletter will be be sent shortly with details of the latest arrangements.
- Music Society Violin Masterclass with Levon Chilingirian – Wednesday 21 November at 6pm, CMR. Parents are warmly welcomed to attend our biennial visit from Levon Chilingirian for a Masterclass (open lesson) with a group of our top violinists. These occasions always give us a fascinating insight into the teaching and learning process and will be interesting for all our musicians and particularly our string players. We are encouraging all our string players to attend this event which, thanks to our Music Society, is provided free of charge,. For parents of these musicians, we are inviting the boys to sign up for an early supper so that they can attend without hunger pangs – please would you encourage them to come along. There's lots to learn and it should be hugely enjoyable.
- Christmas Concerts 2018 – Wednesday 5 and Thursday 6 December at 7pm. It's not too early to get your Christmas Concert tickets. For new parents, please be aware that we do the same concert twice so that we can accommodate everyone and they should know that the following ensembles are taking part this year: First Year Choir, Chamber Orchestra, Gospel Choir, Second Orchestra, Big Band, Joint Chamber Choir, Symphonic Winds Band and First Orchestra. Please see this link for further information and a link for booking Christmas Concert tickets.
Let's talk about Food – Wednesday 21 November
Parents are asked to encourage their son to attend if they so wish. Please see poster for further information.
EPQ Presentation Evening Friday 23 November, Yang Science Centre 5.45-7.15pm
On Friday 23 November 34 boys will be delivering their EPQ presentations in an evening event which is running from 5.45 until 7.15pm. The presentations will be delivered across a number of classrooms in the Yang Science Centre, with three separate sessions at 5.45, 6.15 and 6.45.The presentations will be accompanied by refreshments and snacks in the lobby.
The topics this year range from “Can the apparent absence of life on exoplanets be explained and what does it mean for humanity?” to “What impact did Blaxploitation films have on mainstream American perceptions of African-American Culture?”
Supervisors use the evening to grade their EPQ candidates. To achieve the highest grades the boys need to be asked challenging questions by an engaged audience so they would also be very pleased to see you there. Parents who would like to come to the presentations you would be most welcome.
Abingdon Box Office
- NT Live: The Madness of George III – 7pm, Tuesday 20 November.
- Lord of the Flies, Thursday 29 & Friday 30 November is completely sold out. Please email [email protected] for your name to be added to the waiting list.