Sixth Form Admissions
Abingdon welcomes applications from boys wanting to enter the sixth form as day or boarding pupils. We receive applications from boys attending a very wide variety of schools ranging from the local independent and maintained sector schools to those attending schools overseas.
The sixth form admissions process takes place between November and early March of the year immediately preceding entry. Listed below are the details of the sixth form entry procedure as well as the key dates for sixth form entry. You may also like to view the sixth form prospectus online or download the PDF version. You can also view the sixth form curriculum online.
Should you have any questions or concerns please contact the Admissions Office by email firstname.lastname@example.org or telephone +44 (0)1235 849041.
Overseas admissions to Sixth Form
Procedure and entry requirements
- Following registration candidates are asked to provide further information about their choice of A level subjects.
- We will ask a boy's current school for a reference.
- Academic assessments and interviews take place from November. However most locally based candidates, including those wishing to sit our academic sixth form scholarship, attend their interviews and assessments in the Lent term (February). Please feel free to contact the Admissions Department to discuss dates for assessment.
- Candidates will have an interview with the Upper Master or a member of senior academic staff as well as at least one subject interview. Candidates whose first language is not English will usually be interviewed by our Head of EFL.
- Candidates will be offered places based on the results of their interviews and assessments, and in the case of those taking GCSEs, the strength of their predicted grades. For those taking GCSEs Abingdon has a minimum grade requirement. To reflect the national changes to GCSE, where subjects are graded using the numerical system, an average of '6' (equivalent to a B grade) is needed across all GCSE grades with 7s required in subjects to be studied at A level. However an 8 is required in GCSE Maths if Further Maths is to be studied at A level. Please contact the Director of Admissions for further information.
- Overseas candidates may take their examination papers overseas by prior arrangement and papers may be sent from November onwards. Interviews for overseas candidates may also be conducted using Skype or a similar medium. However we always encourage candidates to visit the School if at all possible and we do reserve the right to ask individuals to attend the School for assessment when it is considered necessary.
Scholarships and exhibitions
Offers of places are usually sent two weeks after interviews with the first offers made in December. Parents will be asked to give a firm acceptance of the place and to pay an acceptance fee which will be credited to the parents’ final account when their son leaves the School. Candidates whose places are conditional upon GCSE results (or their equivalent) should inform the Registrar of their results as soon as they are known.
Key dates for Sixth Form entry to Abingdon in September 2019
|29 September 2018||Open Day and Sixth Form Presentation (all welcome)|
|21 October 2018||Deadline for Sixth Form Scholarship applications|
Wednesday 14 November 2018* or Saturday 2 February 2019*
Sixth Form examinations and interviews (including Sixth Form Academic scholarship)
|w/c 19 November 2018||Art, Design and Technology, Drama, Music, and Sport scholarship auditions and assessments|
|22 August 2019||GCSE results to be provided to the Admissions Office for place confirmation (as appropriate)|
* Alternative dates may be discussed with the Admissions Registrar.
Key dates for Sixth Form entry to Abingdon in September 2020
|28 September 2019||Open Day and Sixth Form Presentation (all welcome)|
|ASSESSMENT DAYS: There are two main assessment days and candidates may select either the November or February date. Alternative dates may be discussed with the Admissions Office.|
|First assessment date:
Wednesday 13 November 2019
Second assessment date:
Saturday 8 February 2020
|SCHOLARSHIPS: Academic Scholarships are taken as part of the general assessment days.|
|Friday 11 October 2019||Deadline for Sixth Form Scholarship applications|
|Tuesday 19 November 2019||Art & Design & Technology Scholarship assessments and interviews|
|Thursday 21 November 2019||Music, and Drama Scholarship assessments and interviews|
|Friday 22 November 2019||Sport Scholarship assessments and interviews|
|August 2020||GCSE results to be provided to the Admissions Office for place confirmation (as appropriate)|