Recent Academic Achievements 2017/8 (apart from A Level & GCSE):
- 22 offers achieved: 12 Oxford; 10 Cambridge
- Subjects: Biochem, Chemistry, Classics x2, Classics & French, Computer Science x2, Engineering x2, English Lang & Lit x2, History, Ancient & Modern History, HSPS, Japanese, Land Economy, Linguistics, Mathematics, Mech Engineering, Music, NatSci x 2
Extended Project Qualification (U6th)
- 14A*, 10A, 8B, 2C
- Biology Olympiad (Upper Sixth): Gold x1, Silver x 4, Bronze x 1.
- Intermediate Biology Olympiad (Lower Sixth): Gold x2, Silver x1, Bronze x1, Highly Commended x2.
- Biology Challenge (Fourth Year): Gold x 4, Silver x 13, Bronze x 3.
- Chemistry Olympiad: Gold x 4, Silver x 4, Bronze x 1.
- RSC Chemistry Challenge: A team of four 4th years won the Thames Valley heat to qualify for the South East Regional Finals at the University of Greenwich. They were also winners of the regional final.
- C3L6. Lower Sixth Cambridge Chemistry Challenge: 1x Roentgenium award (top 50 out of over 8000 taking the test and a place on a weeks residential course at Cambridge University in the summer holidays), 2x Gold award.
- British Informatics Olympiad finalist (top 15 in the country Invited to Cambridge training).
- Winner of National Cipher Challenge.
- Finalist in the Under 13 UK Computational Thinking Challenge.
- A record four boys secured the Arkwright Engineering Scholarship.
- One boy made it through to the final of the Technology Design and Innovation competition.
- One boy designed and manufactured a model spaceship which was then selected to be flown to space as part of the schools microgravity rocket experiment.
- Four teams qualified for the regional finals of the bloodhound rocket design competition.
- One boy won a place on the ‘leadership in the business world’ summer programme run by the Wharton School of the University of Pennsylvania.
- Two successful Oxbridge candidates: one studying History at Christ Church and one is studying Ancient and Modern History at Somerville.
- Gold certificate x1 in UK Linguistics Olympiad 2018.
- Bronze x11.
- Junior Maths Challenge: 23 Gold certificates. 13 boys qualified for the Junior Kangaroo, 4 achieving merits. 2 boys qualified for the Junior Maths Olympiad, 1 gained a distinction, the other a merit. The distinction places the boy in the top 210 pupils nationally.
- Junior Team Maths Challenge: 2 second years and 2 third years. Awarded first place at Regional finals and went to the National Finals in London.
- Intermediate Maths Challenge: 50 Gold certificates. 32 boys qualified for the Pink kangaroo with 13 achieving merits. 13 boys qualified for the Grey Kangaroo with 4 gaining merits with one boy gaining an impressive full marks! 6 boys qualified for Olympiads, and here there were 4 merits and 1 distinction. One boy performed within the top 50 nationally and so gained a medal and a book prize.
- Senior Maths Challenge: 26 Gold certificates. 17 boys qualified for the Kangaroo with 6 gaining merits. 7 boys qualified for Olympiads with 4 gaining a distinction.
- Senior Team Maths Challenge: 17th out of 86 teams in the National Finals.
- Cartwright Problem Solving Group (Middle School): Had their solution to an nrich problem published on the nrich website.
- Princeton Maths Competition: Team came 3rd out of postal entries and 11th overall.
- National Cipher Challenge: one boy achieved 1st prize.
- French: Two Upper Sixth boys won the Cheltenham French debating competition.
- Spanish: One Lower Sixth boy won First Prize in the University of Cambridge's Corpus Christi College Languages and Linguistics Essay competition. Two Sixth Formers reached the semi-finals of the Cheltenham Spanish debating competition.
- One boy won a Choral Scholarship to read Music at Magdalen College, Oxford for 2018.
- Several boys submitted their own soundtracks for a BBC Blue Planet film extract produced in the Music Technology lab as part of last year’s subject prize in Music.
- Blott Matthews National Engineering prize: One team achieved 3rd place and two achieved special merits.
- GCSE physics challenge: 2 Gold awards, 2 Silver awards.
- AS Physics challenge: 6 Silver awards, 1 Gold award.
- British Physics Olympiad: 1 Gold award, 2 top Gold awards.
- British Physics Olympiad round 2: 1 Silver award, 1 Bronze award.
- 1 student currently holds the 4th longest Isaac Physics streak in the country.
Also see Other Half Achievements.