This week's mailing is:
- To all parents of boys studying Music – Music Lesson Fees
- To all parents of boys in tutor group 1M/2M – 2M Tutor Group Theatre Trip
- To all parents of Upper Sixth Biologists – Science Level A' Level Biology Event
- To all parents of Sixth form boys – Moldova Trip
- To all parents – 14th Annual Screening of new films by the Abingdon Film Unit
Abingdon School is a Nut Free School
We have several boys who have a serious nut allergy that can cause anaphylaxis. Even small traces of nuts on the hand of someone else can be enough to cause a reaction. For this reason we would like to remind everyone that nuts must not be brought into school.
Maths – Puzzle of the Fortnight
This week has seen the Maths Department launch its puzzle of the fortnight. There are puzzles available at two levels, one aimed at Senior boys and one which is accessible to Middle (and Lower) school pupils. Both puzzles are on display in the Maths department and are on the Maths Department Firefly pages. The deadline for submitting solutions is Friday 6 October – full instructions on the poster on Firefly. Good luck and we look forward to receiving your son's solutions.
- Wednesday 4 October at 5.45pm – Music Society AGM and Solo Platform No 1 – CMR. Parents are warmly invited to the first solo platform of the academic year. We start with a brief AGM with news about the music department – our successes of last year and plans for the future. By 6pm the music is underway and we have about 15 of our talented young solo musicians for you to hear. Do join us!
- Joint Choral Society – call for more Tenors and Basses. We still need some enthusiastic adult singers for our non-auditioned Choral Society rehearsals on Wednesdays, 7 to 8.30pm. Please get in touch with [email protected] if you would like to sing. We need you!
Information for Parents – Policies
Parents are reminded that School Policies are available under the “About” & then “Governance” menu of the website. They are reviewed and updated from time to time.
Parents should have received an email from the Headmaster on Wednesday 27 September requesting their participation in a confidential survey on fees. A reminder of that email can be found here. Please note the 4 digit code you need to access the survey is 9830 and the survey closes on Sunday 22 October. Thank you in advance for your help in this important survey.
School Notices – A great new market place for parents
We are pleased to announce the enrolment of Abingdon School in a new digital noticeboard and market place for parents: School Notices. This allows parents at Abingdon to communicate, advertise and trade between themselves and parents at other independent schools, whilst also benefiting some of our school causes through the sharing of advertising income.
School Notices is free for all to browse and post notices whilst providing a place for local and parent owned businesses to advertise. We are pleased to enrol in this new platform, joining many other independent schools who have also joined recently. As more and more schools enrol, it broadens the reach for those posting notices and the site has also become a good place to promote the many sales and charity events being run by parents.
If your son is feeling unwell please do not send him into school. It is the school policy that pupils need to remain off school for 48 hours from the last incident of vomiting or diarrhoea. Please see the link which gives advice from the NHS.
An unforgettable evening with the international singer and raconteur, Jonathan Veira, Saturday 14 October 7.30pm, St Helen & St Katharine School
Tickets £10 available from [email protected] or Tel 07767 400419
Reminder – Annual Touchliner Rugby Dinner
To all parents, our annual Touchliners Rugby Dinner takes place on Saturday 4 November, 7pm til 11.30pm in the Dining Hall. Out guest speaker this year is Neil Back (England 2003 World Cup winner and British Lion). It promises to be a cracking night. Please email: [email protected].