This week's mailing:
- To parents of Second Year boys – Visit to Roman Bath & Google Form
- To parents of Third Year boys – Preference for Fourth Year Subjects for September 2017
- To parents of all boys in Middle and Upper School – Reminder Confirmation Letter
- To parents of all boys in O'Doherty's and Southwell-Sander's House – Trip to Rush Trampoline Park & Consent Form
Follow the School on Twitter and Facebook
You can receive all the School's latest news and follow the Headmaster as well as keep up to date with the activities of various departments via Twitter and Facebook. For the full list of how to keep in touch please follow this link.
3rd Year Vaccinations
The 3rd Year boys will be bringing home consent forms today for their vaccination updates on Tuesday 14 March. This is for Diphtheria, Tetanus and Polio boosters, Meningitis ACWY and a second MMR if not already received. Parents of boarders are being emailed regarding consent and these boys will not receive a form. The completed forms need to be returned to their Tutors by Friday 3 March at the very latest. They are then collected by the NHS School Nurses prior to the vaccinations. If a consent form has not been received, they will not vaccinate the boys.
To parents of students on the 3rd Year History trip to the Battlefields (21-23 April 2017)
This is a reminder for those interested that there will be a briefing on the trip itself with more information on sites boys will be visiting on Wednesday 8 March at 7pm in the Charles Maude Room. This meeting is entirely voluntary and parents have all the information they need for the trip already. Please can you email David McGill if you intend to come so he can get an idea of numbers.
Monday 15 May, 7.30-8.45pm, Amey Theatre: Pastoral Evening for 3rd & 4th year parents; “Navigating the teenage years.”
Navigating the teenage years can be a bumpy road for many boys (and parents) journeying through adolescence. It is rarely plain sailing all of the time! Twenty-first-century boys face many and varied pressures that come from all angles: the media, their peers, even themselves. This is set against the backdrop of a rapidly changing and ever quickening digital world. Drawing upon our collective experience we are offering an evening with three pastoral leaders in the school to provide you with some guidance and support in helping steer your son through to flourish into wonderful young men. We are not claiming to know all the answers but offer our collective wisdom as well as anecdotal advice, drawing upon several decades of pastoral encounters with teenage boys. We will be covering topics such as: maintaining positive mental health and well-being, how to be well organised for school and exams, tackling the gauntlet of social media, dealing with the world of alcohol, parties and sleepovers (amongst others). Please sign up on the google form if you would like to book a place. We would love to see you there if you are free to join in the shared conversation.
Music Notices Friday 24 February
- Tuesday 28 February Chapel Choir sings Evensong at Coventry Cathedral, 5.15pm – Parents of Chapel Choir members have been sent information and a consent (reply needed) for the visit. We leave school at 1.45pm and should be back at the Coach Park by 7.15pm.
- Wednesday 1 March – A Music Society Piano Masterclass with Ben Schoeman, Amey Theatre 6pm – This event will be of great interest to all pianists and their parents. About eight of our senior pianists will be tutored live by this eminent South African, but London based, teacher and performer. The event takes place in the Amey Theatre – thanks to our Music Society, the admission is free.
- Wednesday 1 March – Theory of Music Examinations take place at 5pm in Room A214 (John Allen under special arrangements).
- Third Year String Quartet in the Pro Corda semifinals – Congratulations to Ashwin Tennant, Elvis Hung, Nick Raptakis and Hugo Payton, who have gained a place in the semifinal of this prestigious national chamber music competition.
Abingdon School Football Club End Of Season Dinners
As a finale to this year’s football season all Lower School Footballers and parents are invited to attend the Lower School Football Awards Evening at 6.45pm on Thursday 23 March with special guests from Oxford United. Please find more information in the invitation and tickets can be booked here.
Further to this I would like to invite all Middle and Upper School players and parents to attend the Abingdon School Football Club End Of Season Dinner on Friday 24 March. The evening will start with at 7pm with a drinks reception followed by dinner, presentations and speeches with Old Abingonian and current professional footballer at Inverness Caledonian Thistle, Alex Fisher the guest speaker for the evening. Please see further information in the invitation and to book your tickets please click here or visit the School Box Office.
Ultimate Activity Camps for ages 4 to 14 at Abingdon School – Easter and Summer 2017
Food menu for the coming week – Week 1