Message from the Headmaster
It’s been a rather unusual week in school as we have marked Insect Week, as promoted by the Royal Entomological Society. I’m grateful to my colleagues in the Biology department who have put on a range of activities, from insect dissection to give insights into anatomy to a chance to taste insect-based foods and consider the role they might play in our diets in the future. This morning students had the chance to handle the insects which are looked after by our entomology club, including mantids, butterflies and giant hissing cockroaches. Stick insects will feature as well, reminding me of the stick insects which I used to keep in a jar on the window sill in the kitchen at home when I was growing up – much to my mother’s delight.
Best wishes, Mike Windsor
- Summer Design and Technology Workshop
- This summer the DT Department at Abingdon School is offering Design and Technology workshop sessions to current Second Year (Year 8) students, and to students who will be joining the Third Year (Year 9) in September 2023. The workshops provide an opportunity to learn Design and Technology skills and meet other like-minded students. The projects have been designed so the students will use a range of tools and machines and complete a project from start to finish. The workshop sessions will run over two mornings, with two separate sets of session dates available for you to choose from: Tuesday 11 – Wednesday 12 July 2023 or Tuesday 18 – Wednesday 19 July 2023. Childcare vouchers are accepted as payment. Please click here for more information and to book online.
- From the Art and Music departments: The Evening of Art and Music, Wednesday 28 June
- Parent Contract Terms & Conditions:
- A change has been made to the Parent Contract Terms and Conditions to require a pupil to attend the School for at least two weeks (previously 1 day) to be eligible for the Acceptance Fee to be repaid.
- Residential Trips for academic year 2023-2024:
Attached is the updated trips matrix. As usual, regrettably, with a plethora of trips available, avoiding clashes between trips is not always possible for each student, as there are many constraints to work with. Enquiries should be addressed to [email protected] please.
- Music: No new additions – see upcoming Music events
- Reminder: Henley Royal Regatta – Friday 30 June 2023. Current and former parents, staff, and governors, are invited to join OAs for the OA Club’s strawberries and Pimm’s event at the Friends of Abingdon School Boat Club marquee in Henley Cricket Club car park during the afternoon tea interval (usually between 4.00 pm and 5.00 pm) on Friday 30 June 2023. No RSVP required.
- OX14 Learning Partnership Upcoming Events
- News from the week
- Food menu for the following week – Week 1
- School calendar
- Weekly mailing archive
- Box Office: No new additions – see upcoming Box Office events
- High Performance Rugby, Athletic Development and Wellness Camp: Monday 24 July -Thursday 27 July, Welcoming pupils aged 8 to 15 years. Based at Abingdon School Sports Centre.
- This camp is designed to teach aspiring young athletes to move correctly, efficiently and safely, while building full body strength and balance. The camp is led by Sy Wiggall, a Strength and Mental Performance Coach with Oxford Harlequins and founder of the Oxford Youth Strength and Conditioning Academy. Pupils will be shown how to fuel themselves with the correct nutrition, breathe correctly and help them achieve a mindset for a happy, positive and successful sporting career. This camp includes: fundamental rugby skills and game-play; sprinting technique; agility, movement and proprioception; Brazilian Jiu-Jitsu; core strength and stretching; correct breathing patterns and techniques for physical and mental health, as well as helping to reduce anxiety; mindfulness, mindset, goal setting and visualisation techniques. Childcare vouchers are accepted as payment. Please click here for more information and to book online.