This week's mailing is:
- To parents of all fifth year boys – Coursework Deadlines
- To parents of all fifth year boys – Tentative Preference for Sixth Form Subjects
- Southwell-Sander's House Carol Service – Reminder
Parents on site
For safeguarding reasons, please can I remind all parents that they must sign in at Park Lodge reception if they have a meeting with a member of staff. Please do not come on to the site without signing in and receiving a visitors' lanyard. The exceptions to this are if you are attending a sports fixture, or concert. I hope that you would understand why we would like the site to be as secure as possible, and as ever, if you have any queries please do contact Mark Hindley, our safeguarding lead.
EPQ Presentations Evening
The EPQ Presentations Evening will take place on Monday 20 November in the Yang Science Centre from 5.30 to 7pm. Parents of those boys doing presentations have been invited to the event, but all parents are welcome to attend. If you would like to come, please let Mr Hallinan know by email.
Seeing homework on Firefly
Homework for students in Middle and Upper School (and often Lower School as well) is set through the school's learning site, Firefly. Homeworks (“tasks”) are listed for boys in the order they are due in and work can be submitted to the teacher electronically via the same site if the teacher has indicated they are happy to receive work in that manner. Students can access the site through an app for iOS or Android, as well as through any web browser and are reminded to make sure they mark each task as complete after they have done it. If you would like to see what homework has been set, then we encourage you to ask your son to show you his Firefly dashboard, as well as giving you a guided tour of the many resources available. We are not able to give parents their own access to their son's Firefly pages. If you have any questions, please contact Ben Whitworth, Director of eLearning.
- Music Society Woodwind Masterclass, Wednesday 22 November at 6pm in CMR – Next Wednesday there is an opportunity to hear some expert woodwind tuition from Paul Harrison, clarinettist, teacher, author and composer, who will be working with nine of our senior woodwind players. The event is financed by our Music Society and so admission is free. We are hoping that all our woodwind players will attend. Please do consider coming along and bringing your sons. There is no doubt that all will benefit from insightful and motivational playing and teaching that they will see.
- Christmas Concerts , Wednesday 6 and Thursday 7 December at 7pm – Our Christmas Concerts are now fast approaching and tickets are selling for one of our most popular musical events. The concert will include performances from the senior ensembles (three orchestras and Symphonic Wind and Big Bands) and choirs, including the entire First year, the Gospel and the Joint Chamber choirs. Our senior flautist, William Lam, will be performing the beautiful Concertino by Cecile Chaminade. The programme is repeated on the two adjacent evenings – please use this link to apply for tickets for either evening.
Parents' Carol Service
All parents and boys are warmly invited to the carol service at St Michael's Church, Park Road on Thursday 14 December at 6.30pm. The service will be a shortened form of the traditional lessons and carols from King's College, Cambridge. The boarding community will be in attendance and the outstanding Chapel Choir will perform. Do join us for this delightful and inspiring occasion.
Food menu for the coming week – Week 1