Message from the Head
We continue to settle into our new facilities with the café now open in the Pavilion where Sixth Formers and Fifth Years are also enjoying lunch. This has taken the pressure off the Dining Hall and reduced queuing time for all our students. Members of Crescent and Austin are also enjoying their new communal spaces.
In designing these new facilities, we very much had the environment in mind and these buildings include a number of features to ensure that they efficiently promote sustainability. Perhaps the most obvious visual representation of that is the green roof on the Pavilion. Our new facilities are heated by air source heat-pumps and feature a high level of insulation to ensure energy efficiency. We’ve also increased the number of solar panels around the site to make the most of renewable energy sources.
The School’s student-led Eco Committee is also keen to get the school community to think about our impact on the environment and on Monday launched their ‘Switch it off’ fortnight. As you can probably guess, the focus of the campaign is to encourage students and staff to switch off lights and devices when they are not actively in use. I hope this is a lesson that they might take back into the home too.
Best wishes, Mike Windsor
- Solo Platform Concert – CMR – Tuesday 21 November, 6pm. Our final solo platform concert of term takes place on Tuesday 21 November. All are welcome to hear a range of pupils perform a varied repertoire which has been tackled and accomplished this term. As usual, the concert takes place in the Charles Maude Room at 6pm.
- Choral Evensong – St. Michael’s Church, Wednesday 22 November, 6pm. For those who are interested in a reflective service, do please join us at St. Michael’s in Abingdon for the term’s choral evensong. This will be sung by the Chapel Choir with music by Stanford and Howells. Commencing at 6pm, the service should conclude by 7pm. All are most welcome.
- Joint Choral Society Concert – St. Helen’s School, Sunday 26 November, 7pm. The annual Joint Choral Society concert will take place in St. Helen’s School on Sunday 26 November at 7pm. For those pupils involved, there will be an afternoon rehearsal followed by the performance commencing at 7pm. All parents of pupils involved will be contacted by the Music Department directly.
- Christmas Concerts – Wednesday 6 December and Friday 8 December, 7pm. The Christmas Concerts this year will take a slightly different format with two separate concerts rather than a repeat of the same concert as in previous years. The Music Department will be sending an email this week to all parents of pupils involved with details about both concerts, but please be aware that it is likely that the vast majority of pupils will be involved in only one of the concerts. Parents of pupils in the 1st year will be sent information about the 1st Year Choir performance in the Christmas Concert on Wednesday 6 December where all pupils in 1st year will perform.
- See other upcoming Music Events
- Reminder from the Chair of ASPA, Richard Stone: ASPA Burns Night Dinner and Ceilidh Dance – Saturday 27 January
- ASPA are delighted to be hosting a Burns Night dinner and dance, with live Ceilidh band, on Saturday 27 January. This will be the first major ASPA event in the new Pavilion dining facility. Tickets are £45 per person and include an arrival drink and three course dinner. These are available now through the school box office. https://www.abingdon.org.uk/sports-and-leisure/performance/aspa-burns-night-dinner-and-ceilidh-dance/ There is obviously limited capacity so book early! We look forward to seeing you there.
- OX14 Learning Partnership Upcoming Events
- News from the week
- Food menu for the following week – Week 1
- School calendar
- Weekly mailing archive
- Box Office:
- See upcoming Box Office events