This week’s mailing is:
- To parents of pupils in the sixth form – Moldova Project
- To parents of pupils in the sixth form studying French, German or Spanish – MFL Cheltenham College
- To parents of pupils in the lower sixth studying Politics – Trip to Westminster
New school website
We will shortly be launching a new school website. Information for parents regarding school news, the weekly mailing, term and calendar dates, events and sports fixtures and results will all be found under the ‘What’s on’ tab. You will still be sent an email each week with a link to the weekly mailing. We hope you like the new website and we would welcome any feedback to Jane Warne and Christie Bridle at email@example.com
For Parents of 5th Year Pupils: Morrisby Aspirations Programme Interviews
If your son is participating in the Morrisby Aspirations Career Profiling Programme, he will today (1 Nov) receive an email from Michael Triff with the date, time, and location of his interview with an independent careers adviser from Morrisby. This interview will be next week on one of the following days: Mon-Thurs, 4-7 November. Thank you for ensuring your son has put this appointment in his planner/diary and that he sets aside some time this weekend (if not already) to go over the results of his Morrisby questionnaire with you, to research occupations listed in his results, and to complete the pre-interview questions – all in his online Morrisby account. The Morrisby Aspirations Programme can help to inform A-Level subject choices from a career planning perspective, so thank you for ensuring your son makes the most of his participation. Michael Triff, Head of Career Guidance.
For all Parents of Middle and Upper School Pupils: Motivational Talk by TV Sports Broadcaster, Rob Walker (Old Abingdonian 1993), Friday 8 November, 4-5pm, Sports Centre Hospitality Suite
Rob Walker is a twenty-year veteran Channel 4 and BBC TV sports broadcaster who has contributed to and been part of some of the greatest moments in British and international sports history. He is a truly inspiring speaker who loves Abingdon School and wants to share with students some stories about his time here and the career and life he has forged since leaving, citing the kinds of difficulties that so many students face and how they can be handled and overcome. He has some powerful experiences to share and advice to offer middle and upper school students. No booking is needed – students can just turn up. Please encourage your son to attend this talk (if he is not otherwise committed to another activity). Michael Triff, Head of Career Guidance.
- Wednesday 6 November at 6pm, CMR – Solo Concert Platform No 2. Parents and friends are cordially invited to come and hear our solo musicians in performance in a wide variety of music and levels.
- Thursday 7 November at 6.15pm – Choral Evensong with Merton College Choir. An unusual Evensong sees our own Chapel Choir combining with that of Merton College in their historic Chapel and under the direction of choirmaster, Ben Nicholas. Do join us for what promises to be an inspiring and moving occasion.
- Friday 8 November at 7pm, CMR – Music Society Quiz Night and Supper – Last chance to get your tickets! The music society are hosting a fun and friendly family general knowledge quiz night in the CMR next Friday 8 November at 7pm. The evening stars our guest Quiz Master Mr Michael Windsor and a 3-course Spanish style meal; a cash bar is available and includes wine to match the food! All parents, sons, daughters, friends and relatives welcome. Tickets are available through the school Box Office website but hurry as sales close first thing Monday morning. Any questions? Please contact Gillian, Chair of ASMS.
3rd Year History Department Battlefields Trip from David McGill
Confirmation emails and itinerary information have been sent out to those parents who signed their sons up for the trip. Please can you contact me if you have signed your son up for the trip and not heard from me.
Last call for FASBC Quiz and Curry Night!
The Friends of Abingdon School Boat Club would like you to join them for their annual Quiz and Curry Night in the Abingdon School Dining Hall on Saturday 9 November – Arrive at 7pm, Quiz starts at 7.30pm. Tickets cost £17.50 for adults and £15 for students, and include a delicious curry supper. Drinks will be available to purchase. Any questions – please email firstname.lastname@example.org. Don’t delay – this is your last chance to book!
Fines for parking on Park Road and on Park Crescent
Parents are reminded that, to discourage parking on these private roads, a company is employed by Christ’s Hospital to fine cars parked there. Visitors should use the School’s Lower Field Car Park on Park Road, and then report to Park Lodge Reception, please.
Drop-off in Park Crescent
When dropping off or waiting near the Dining Hall, please consider Bowling Club members who may be entering or exiting the Club car park by leaving room for members’ vehicles to do so. Please be aware it’s a private car park, and the barrier will be locked once the last bowler leaves, to avoid difficulties.
Abingdon Box Office
News from the week:
- Spanish Exchange Trip
- Silver DofE Canoeing Practice
- Classics Trip to Sicily
- CCF Adventure Training Trip
- School House Pumpkin Carving