12 March 2019

U14 C

Our first defeat of the season and a crushing one at that. It started off well enough, with our defense holding strong for most of the first half. They had the majority of the possession and territory and when we had the ball, we were unable to get it out to our strikers, as we weren’t using the width enough and our midfielders were often behind their forwards. They scored late in the first half from a short corner, which our keeper was unable to stop. The second half was disastrous for our team. For the most part, we were strong defensibly, but our midfielders weren’t tracking back enough. Later on in the half our defenses failed and they racked up goal after goal. Overall, a crushing defeat, and one we wish not to repeat. We need to work on getting the ball out of sixteens, and keeping possession. The final score was 0-6 to Marlborough.

U14 B

The match took place two weeks after half term. The boys were rested and prepared, and most of all ready to win after the streak of losses. The game started decently, but no more than that. There was some good play from the midfield and attack perspective, and the defence – Roman Buckland and Ollie Glover – worked their socks off. However, the 16s weren’t at all great, and often resulted in turnovers due to the lack of options. Nearing the end of the first half, we conceded an unlucky goal from a great hit off their short corner. After a quick half time talk, we were ready to take the game. Defenders like Ollie Judge cleared the ball out wide effectively where it was quickly passed on to the wingers Tom Harding and Jamie Firth, or to the strikers Jake Morris and Ollie Ellard. This relentless attack and improved physicality wore the opposition down, and we scored a goal off a short corner. After these events we pushed harder and harder, and despite lacking a bit of fitness, we scored a flukey, but well deserved goal. All we had to do then was run down the clock until the whistle announced our victory. The final score was 2-1 to Abingdon.

U15 A

After a respectable draw against Cheltenham, we started strong against Marlborough. In the first half, we played composed hockey, with many controlled passes and well-worked plays. Tom Jackson finished a strong pass across the D, putting us 1-0 up. However, Marlborough counter-attacked and scored, catching us off guard. In the second half, we were frantic in some areas, allowing Marlborough to have a few chances, which were saved well by Josh Khan. The final score was 1-1, although we definitely deserved a few more goals.

U16 A

On Saturday afternoon the Abingdon teams took the long journey to Marlborough to play possibly their toughest rivals yet. With a final scoreline of losing 3-2 shown. The game started off with miscommunication leading to Marlborough going 1-0 up. After an even run of play they then managed to snatch another goal just before half-time. After a key half time talk Abingdon came back scoring 2 goals before the final five minutes. However just before the final whistle Marlborough came back and scored the final winning goal. The Abingdon boys will have some things to practise before the match next week against rivals Radley.


The thirds match on Saturday culminated in the teams first defeat of the season, against a worthy side. For most of the first half Marlborough remained in possession of the ball, scoring a quick goal to make the match 1-0. The team then began to wake up in the second half, and although missing some key players to sickness and injury, managed to equalise to 1-1 with a beautiful teamwork goal finished by Vyas. Although we remained in majority possession of the ball, sloppy marking led to quick breakthroughs by the opposition and we finished the game 3-1 to Marlborough. Various aspects of the game could have been improved on and looking forward to the next big game against Radley!


The seconds were expecting a very tough challenge against Marlborough College and were motivated from the off – we started aggressively, playing at our fast tempo and put them under lots of pressure – Louis Heard (who had a barnstorming game) scored a good goal early on and and we continued to dominate possession and use the ball well. Harry Capon added a second after sustained pressure showing once again how much of a key player he is to the team and we missed more chances before coming in for half time at 2-0. Marlborough posed more of a threat in the second half but we were still the better team and could easily have scored at least a couple more had we been more clinical, the game finished 2-0. All players made a positive difference to the team, lots of hard running, good passing and an improved press and use of space gave us a great platform to play even better next week. A great result!


This was a thriller. An intense game from start to finish with Marlborough holding strong against many of our attacks, and being effective on the counter attack. Throughout the game, we just had the upper hand, and always got the first score, for Marlborough to level not too long after. With roughly three minutes left on the clock, Marlborough levelled to make it 3-3. For many teams, heads would begin to drop, but we weren't going to lose a game that we'd fought hard for throughout. With just over a minute to go, a short corner is awarded… to Abingdon. Running through the motions, the routine goes to plan, and ends up with Smith on the receiving end of a ball in, followed by the sound of the ball hitting the backboard. The team showed resilience and as always work rate, but also the ability to keep applying constant pressure, leading to rewards. We now look forward to the local derby, Abingdon vs Radley. The final score was 4-3 to Abingdon.

St George's 6s

In a high-calibre competition, in a sixes format, something we’re less familiar with, we played hard. The short sharp length of the games meant that any mistake or piece of good play would count, something which we were on both the giving and receiving end of. We played JHGS, St Edward's, Ardingly College, Sir William Borlase GS, and KGS. Though tough games especially against Borlase – who we won against – and KGS – last year’s competition winners – we played well, and fought hard. However, unfortunately, narrowly missed out in continuing through to the playoffs due to goal difference.

More News