Please see below an outline of the admissions procedures. They are designed to be informal and friendly and to get the best out of our young candidates. We understand that it can be an anxious time but please be assured that we will do everything we can to make the process enjoyable.
If you have any queries or just want to chat then please do get in touch with our Admissions team, we look forward to hearing from you. The processes alter with age and year of entry and we also have some flexibility around timing. Email: firstname.lastname@example.org or telephone +44 (0)1865 392303.
For the time being, we have moved all of our prospective pupil assessments and observations online. If you would like further information about the format for these assessments and observations, please get in touch.
Places may also be available for a pupil to join within the current academic year and we would be happy to hear from you too if you are interested in an in-year place.
- After you have got in touch with us to say you are interested, the first formal step is registration. You will need to register your son, via our online registration system, and to pay the registration fee of £100. Candidates need to be registered before we can assess them.
- We follow up with parents immediately after registration to talk about timings and next steps.
- Assessment Mornings – all candidates will be invited to attend an informal assessment. These mornings are designed to be fun and enjoyable. They either take place on a group or individual basis depending on the calendar and the availability of places.
- Reception, Year 1 and Year 2 assessments are best described as play mornings giving us a chance to get to know your child. We also find videos taken in the child’s home setting to be useful.
- Entry to Year 3 and above look at the child’s reading, writing and taking part in a maths activity. For entry to Year 4 and above, assessments will also involve CAT Tests (computer-based Cognitive Abilities Tests in English, Maths and Non-Verbal Reasoning). As with the younger years this assessment is both for us to get to know your child and for them to meet us and other children.
- Places will be offered following the outcome of the assessment together with satisfactory references from the child’s current school or nursery (this may be his two year check).
Transfer Process to Abingdon School
We are often asked about the transfer process for pupils leaving Abingdon Prep to move on to Abingdon School. Please follow this link to find out more.