This week's mailing is:
Oxbridge Information Evening (Friday 1st March, 5pm, at St Helen and St Katharine)
SHSK are running an Oxbridge information evening on Friday 1 March to which Fifth Year and Lower Sixth students are invited. There will be representatives from both universities giving advice and guidance on the different application and selection processes as well as a panel of current students answering any general questions that potential applicants may have. It is free to attend but places are limited and sign-up is on a first-come-first-served basis via the web link in the attached document.
Abingdon Careers Convention: Friday 15 March 2019, 7-9.30pm, Abingdon School
Save the Date: The annual Abingdon Independent Schools’ Careers Convention, jointly run by Abingdon School, Our Lady’s Abingdon and St Helen and St Katharine, will be on Friday 15 March 2019, 7-9.30pm at Abingdon School. 5th Year, L6 and U6 students will not want to miss this event! Already, more than 100 parents and alumni of the three schools (representing some 80 different careers – more than many commercial career fairs!) have volunteered to serve as ‘career representatives’. This is a rare opportunity for students to gather information about careers of interest and educational routes into those careers…from people who know. The format of the event is that of a careers fair, with students choosing and joining small discussion groups led by career representatives. Concurrent with the career fair will be two panel presentations and the opportunity to have a walk-in, one-to-one meeting with an independent careers adviser. The event is compulsory for 5th year students and optional for 6th form students. Parents are welcome; no booking is necessary. Look for an advisory in early March about limited event parking so you can plan accordingly.
- Wednesday 27 February at 6pm Annual Chamber Music Evening. Here is advance notice of one of the best concerts of the year! We have some fabulous chamber music happening at the school at the moment. Parents are warmly encouraged to come and sample it - admission is free! There will be a fine variety of ensembles - woodwind, brass, strings and piano - and it will include music by Shostakovich, Haydn, Queen's Bohemian Rhapsody for clarinets and Dvorak's sublime Piano Quartet with four of our very finest musicians.
Abingdon School Boat Club and the Friends of Abingdon School Boat Club (FASBC)
We would like to invite all rowers and their parents to attend the 28th Annual Rowing Dinner on Saturday 16 March 2019. Drinks Reception in the Charles Maude Room from 7pm followed by a three course dinner at 7.45pm. There will be a cash bar and a raffle to name a boat.
- Dress: Black Tie or Regatta Dress.
- Our guest speaker this year is Jamie Copus, Jamie (OA 2011) won the Princess Elizabeth Challenge Cup with the 1st VIII in 2011, and went on to win a silver medal at the Junior World championships in the 8+ in the same year. While at university, he won the Temple Challenge Cup in 2014 with brother and ASBC senior coach Mr. Copus. He has represented Great Britain at every international level from the Coupe up to and including Senior Worlds, and currently rows in the flagship lightweight 2x boat.
- Adults £40 Students £25
This is always a popular event so we encourage you to book early to avoid disappointment. Closing date for ticket sales is Sunday 10 March 2019. Please book through the school box office.
February Sports Camps
Hockey Camp - Girls and Boys: Aged 9-16 years, 9am – 3pm, Friday 22 February 2019
Key areas of the course:
- 1 v 1 skill development, game play and movement, short corner skills, passing techniques, game play.
- This is a high-quality coaching course led by professional players and current premier league and regional coaches.
- Learn and develop core skills such as hitting and slapping, tackling, movement, short corner skills and overall game play. These will be covered in a fun, safe and enjoyable environment.
All abilities welcome (beginners to JAC/PC). The cost of this course is £48. To find out more information, please contact us:
Booking form: Hockey Camp
Rugby Skills Camp - Boys: Aged 8-16 years, 9am – 3pm, Thursday 21 - Friday 22 February 2019
This is a high-quality coaching course led by ex-professional players and current academy and county level coaches. Learn and develop core skills such as catch and pass, tackle, breakdown, support, back play and set piece play. These will be covered in a fun, safe and enjoyable environment. This is aimed at participants who are currently playing or aspiring to play at first team level at their school and clubs.
- Skills workshops
- Games for understanding
- Injury prevention warm ups
- Playing 7s
- Positional skills
- Daily post-training hydrotherapy
The cost of this course is £80. To find out more information, please contact us:
Booking form: Rugby Skills Camp
Dinner with World Cup Winning Captain
As part of the fundraising efforts for this summer's senior rugby tour to South America we are holding a dinner at school on Friday 15 March 2019. Guest Speaker will be 2003 Rugby World Cup winning Martin Johnson. To purchase tickets please click this link.
Football Club Dinner 2019 - SAVE THE DATE - Friday 22 March 2019
The 4th Annual Football Club Awards Dinner will take place on Friday 22 March 2019. The evening will start at 7pm with a drinks reception followed by dinner, speeches and the presentation of awards. This year we hope to be joined by former Premiership Football referee and Football pundit Dermot Gallagher as our special guest for the evening, and look forward to hearing of his stories in the professional game as well as celebrating the boys' achievements on the evening. Tickets will go on sale after half term.
Abingdon Box Office
Roysse Society Talk: Coventry Blitz & Sinking the Tirpitz - Monday 11 February, 6.15pm, Amey Theatre.
Menine Brass Quartet Concert - Wednesday 13 February, 7pm, Amey Theatre.
Please could you spare less than 2 minutes of your time and complete this extremely short survey on the school website to help us make decisions on how to improve it? Your help would be very much appreciated. Please follow this link.