This week's mailing is:
- To all parents - Parents’ mailing Safer Internet Day 2019, Online gaming, Understanding consent in a digital world, Digital parenting
- To parents of Second Year boys - Parents' Evening
- To parents of Upper sixth pupils - Griffen Ball
Postponing of tonight's “Government Inspector” at SHSK
It is with regret that SHSK will have to cancel tonight’s performance of ‘Government Inspector’ due to the weather conditions. They are pleased to announce however that they are aiming to reschedule it for Monday 4 February at 7pm. Parents should email email@example.com to enquire about the availability of any remaining tickets.
Six Nations Social - Saturday 2 February in Charles Maude Room
This has been cancelled.
Revision leave dates - Summer 2019
Fifth year: revision leave will now begin on Friday 3 May, 5.20pm.
Upper Sixth: revision leave begins Friday 17 May, 1pm.
Advance Notice for L6 Parents: Futures Fair at Abingdon
On 29 April (the first Monday of the Summer term) we will be holding our inaugural Futures Fair at Abingdon School. This event, for L6 boys and their parents, provides the opportunity to talk to student ambassadors and representatives from over 35 exhibitors, including 28 of the UK's top universities, as well as apprenticeship programmes. The Futures Fair is the perfect time for students to consider the broad range of UK degree courses and alternatives on offer before shortlisting places to visit or research further. We strongly recommend that all L6 boys attend this event, which takes place between 5pm and 7pm in the Sixth Form Centre, Beech Court. Parents are most welcome to join us.
The Futures Fair is part of a comprehensive calendar of school events which provides information about a wide range of post-school options, including overseas universities and gap years.
More information will be sent to parents towards the end of this term; should you have any questions in the meantime, please email Caroline Taylor, Assistant Upper Master, Universities
Japan/Hong Kong Tour Auction of Promises - two remaining lots available for bidding until Friday 15 February 2019. Our two fantastic holiday lots are still available until the start of half term for bidding to support our tour to Japan and Hong Kong. All you need to do is contact Caren Hardiman with your lot preference(s) and maximum bid – it’s that easy! Please follow this link for further information.
- One week in a beautiful 17th Century farmhouse in the Lot region of SW France (sleeps up to 12 plus exclusive swimming pool). Minimum next bid £500
- A Theatre Weekend in Chelsea, including a two-night stay at an exclusive garden apartment (sleeps 4) and theatre vouchers to the value of £100 - and champagne! Minimum next bid £620
Some Forthcoming Music Events
- Wednesday 13 February at 7pm Menine Brass Quartet Concert. This is a wonderful opportunity to hear one of the country's top young brass ensembles, who will be working with our brass pupils and ensembles in the afternoon. Do join us - tickets are available here.
- Thursday 14 February at 5pm Gloucester Cathedral Evensong. I am sure that Chapel Choir parents have this already in their diaries, but all are most welcome to come along.
- Wednesday 27 February at 6pm Annual Chamber Music Concert. An event not to be missed! We have some fantastic chamber music underway at Abingdon at the moment. Quartets, quintets, strings, brass and woodwind - Shostakovich, Dvorak - even Queen's Bohemian Rhapsody for clarinets! Admission is free - do join us!
Reminder for all parents about coats
Please ensure your son has a winter coat for trips and away sporting fixtures, particularly in these winter months. If travelling to a sports fixture in team kit, please ensure your son has a tracksuit too.
5th year mocks & parents' evening
The presentations Mr May, Mr Lomax and Mr Crisp gave during Monday evening's Parents' Evening (on mocks overview/ Easter revision and Sixth Form options) will be sent separately early next week.