Weekly Mailing: 14 June 2019
This week's mailing is:
- To parents of 5th Year pupils studying Drama in September - Touching the Void trip
- To parents of L6 & U6 pupils studying Drama in September - Peter Gynt trip
- To parents of L6 pupils studying Drama in September - Dead Dog in a Suitcase trip
Parents of 3rd Year Pupils: DofE Bronze Applicaton
Boys in the 3rd year are invited to apply to start the Bronze Duke of Edinburgh's Award. Please see the attached letter and apply online using the link in the letter.
Change of Early May Bank Holiday 2020
Following the government's announcement that the early May bank holiday is moving to Friday 8 May 2020, our term dates now reflect this change. SHSK, APS and the Manor are modifying their dates, too. Apologies for any inconvenience caused.
All leavers and their families are invited to the Leavers' service at St Michael's Church, Park Road at 9.30am on Saturday 22 June. Rousing hymns, leavers' performance, the chapel choir and profound thoughts!
Parents' Prayer Group.
The final meeting of the academic year will take place on Tuesday 18 June at 8pm in the Chapel. There will be a short service of evening prayer and we will be thinking about both the Prep and Senior schools. Refreshments will be served.
Parents are warmly invited to attend these upcoming events:
- Lower School Gala Concert - Thursday 20 June at 6pm in the Amey Theatre. This concert will involve all the boys in our Lower School (1st and 2nd years) who will be participating in a Lower School choir and it will also include solos, ensembles and performances from both the Lower School Band and Junior Strings. Admission is free and the concert should be finished by 7.30pm.
- Japan and Hong Kong Pre-tour Concert on Friday 28 June at 7pm in the Amey Theatre. We are expecting a big turn-out for our pre-tour concert where parents can view and hear the hard work that has gone into preparing for our ambitious tour to the Far East - we leave just 36 hours after this concert. We hope to perform the whole programme of music, including both Big Band and First Orchestra in a range of repertoire, including Elgar, Vaughan Williams, Rachmaninov and Beethoven - not forgetting Burt Bacharach and Thunderbirds! Please order tickets in advance to avoid the queue!
Middle School Scholars' Newsletter: Summer Edition
The latest edition of the Middle School Scholars' Newsletter, this time written by the 4th Year academic scholars, can be found here.
Celebration of the Arts
A reminder of our upcoming event entitled 'Celebration of the Arts' at Abingdon School. The event takes place on Wednesday night (19 June) from 5pm-8pm. Our students will be playing live music outside Beech Court and we will be holding several exhibitions of artwork. There will also be poetry readings, film work, drama excerpts and a design technology show. Mostly Books are exhibiting creative books for you to purchase. Some Year 3 student work will also be on show. Refreshments will be provided on this exciting night celebration of our schools creativity. We hope you can join us?
Join us for our Hockey Camp - Based at Tilsley Park
Girls and boys: Aged 9-16 years
Key areas of the course:
- 1 v 1 skill development, game play and movement, short corner skills, passing techniques, game play.
- This is a high-quality coaching course led by professional players and current premier league and regional coaches.
- Learn and develop core skills such as hitting and slapping, tackling, movement, short corner skills and overall game play. These will be covered in a fun, safe and enjoyable environment.
- Monday 22 – Tuesday 23 July 2019 (9am-3pm). The cost of this two-day course is £96. To book this course, please click here.
- Monday 21 – Tuesday 22 October 2019 (9am-3pm). The cost of this two-day course is £96. To book this course, please click here.
Abingdon Sports and Leisure Club Memberships
Get summer off to an active start by joining the Abingdon Sports and Leisure Club and take advantage of our promotional discounts - allowing you to become a Premium Member for only £29.99, which gives you access to:
- Strength & Conditioning Gym
- 8-lane swimming pool
- Extensive range of exercise and spinning classes, 7 days a week
- Badminton courts
- Squash courts
- Tilsley Park Boot Camp
We’re also giving Pay As You Go customers 50% off all spinning classes throughout June, relocated in our brand new spin studio at Tilsley Park. For more information or to sign up, please call 01235 849 062 or email email@example.com. You can also click here to download the full information poster. *Offers expire Sunday 30 June 2019. T&C’s apply.
- Edmund Society Lecture
- Futures - Lower School Production
- Remembering the D-Day Abingdonians
- Swimming Success
- Cricket Week 7
- National Schools’ Regatta
- Third Year German Project
- Physicists visit the House of Lords
- Science Opens Doors Workshop
- Boarders visit Thorpe Park
- Bronze DofE Canoeing Assessment
- Berlin History Trip
- Chapel Choir sing evensong at Coventry Cathedral