The majority of Abingdon School scholarships and exhibitions are awarded to boys entering the Third Year. Further information on these is available on their respective pages.
- Academic: Between 15 and 18 academic scholarships are awarded at Third Year entry. Academic scholarships to the Middle School are offered on the results of the examinations held in early March each year. The examination, taken by both internal and external candidates instead of Common Entrance, extends over three days. It consists of an interview and papers in English, Mathematics, French or German (two plus oral), Science, Latin, and Humanities (History, Geography and Religious Studies). There is also a general paper. Some pupils take examinations in extra subjects.
- Art: Up to two art scholarships are awarded after examination of portfolio work, a practical examination and an interview.
- Design & Technology: Up to two design & technology scholarships are awarded after examination of portfolio work, a practical examination and an interview.
- Music: A flexible number of music scholarships, including free tuition on up to three instruments. We also offer instrumental exhibitions giving free tuition on one or two instruments. Music awards are based on auditions on at least two instruments.
- Sport: Up to two sports awards.
- Drama: Up to two drama awards for outstanding candidates.
Both sports and drama awards are made on the strength of an assessment of appropriate skills and achievements in a practical session and at interview.
Scholarships and other similar awards carry a nominal financial reward. However, as is the case for all other pupils, there is an option to apply for further financial assistance through a means-tested bursary. Tenure of awards is conditional upon continued good work and behaviour.