- 1898 – 1915
- Worcestershire Regiment
- Missing believed killed in action 10 August 1915, aged 17
- Commemorated Helles Memorial, Turkey
- Born 8 March 1898
- Father Mr EW Tinegate, The Grange, Handsworth, Staffordshire
- Attended Abingdon School 1912 to 1914
- Left to join father’s timber business
From The Abingdonian April 1916
TINEGATE – Missing believed killed in action August 2nd 1915, GH Tinegate, 9th Royal Worcester Regiment
Tinegate's handwritten war record
Transcript of Tinegate’s war record, on the reverse of the photograph:
Geoffrey Howarth Tinegate (18*) Missing believed killed in action August 10 1915 at Chunuk Bar – official account “Last seen unconscious with telephone instrument in his hand”. Was signaller in
13th Battn 9th Worcesters. Joined up outbreak of war six months after leaving school.
* Despite the fact that this document says 18, Tinegate was in fact 17 and 5 months when he died, making him Abingdon’s youngest First World War casualty.