Our first priority is the safety of all those in the Abingdon Prep community.
The situation is dynamic and the guidance we are able to give is often dependent on the information we receive from the government. We will update this page when further details become available.
Covid arrangements for Spring term 2022
Our first priority remains the safety of our whole school community and we will continue to emphasise the need to respect each other’s personal space and to ensure good ventilation, hand-washing and the use of hand sanitiser.
Contingency plans will be implemented as and when needed and updates to the arrangements outlined below will be posted on this webpage.
- Face coverings are no longer compulsory in classrooms for pupils in Year 7 and Year 8. These pupils should, however, still wear a face covering in communal areas, unless exempt.
- All pupils will continue to need to wear a face covering on the school buses when travelling to and from school or going on a fixture or trip.
- Children who are close contacts of a positive case no longer need to self-isolate but they will be advised to take a LFD test for seven days following the close contact.
- In keeping with government guidance, we will not be notifying parents of positive cases in school. However this may change if we need to implement contingency planning in the event of an outbreak.
- If a boy tests positive for Covid-19 they need to self-isolate in line with government guidance (see bullet below for further detail) and notify the school by email: [email protected] and also notify your son’s form teacher, [email protected] and [email protected].
- Self-isolation guidance has changed – If a pupil tests positive they may be able to end their self-isolation period before the end of the 10 full days. They can take a lateral flow device (LFD) test from 5 days after the day symptoms started and another LFD test on the following day. The second LFD test should be taken at least 24 hours later. If both these test results are negative, and the pupil does not have a high temperature, they may end their self-isolation after the second negative test result, and return to their education setting.
- Sport, Music, Drama and the Other Half will all continue as a full programme. Spectators are welcome to sports fixtures and live audiences to productions and concerts. We continue to ask all visitors (including parents) to wear face coverings and to take a LFD, recording a negative result, before coming onto School premises.
- Trips – there will be trips during the Spring term, please refer to the school calendar.
- Covid-19 testing for boys in Years 7 and 8 will continue twice weekly on Sunday and Wednesday and we would ask that you please fill in this brief form to confirm the result of each test.
- LFD kits are available directly from the government (follow this link) or pharmacies.
Should you have any questions, please email [email protected].
Last updated 27 January 2022
Vaccination programme for young people
Please refer to the government website and the National Booking System for information and to book vaccinations for young people.
Home testing for Years 7 and 8 only
This notice only applies to pupils in Years 7 and 8.
We are following government guidelines for the testing of students in schools to help prevent the spread of Covid-19 and we very much appreciate the cooperation of parents and pupils in keeping our community safe. Further information on how to take a test is available here and from this government leaflet and video.
We would ask that parents supervise their sons as they carry out the tests twice a week. Even if someone has tested positive for Covid-19 within the last 90 days, they are strongly encouraged to take part in LFD testing.
Consent is not needed for self-testing at home and a privacy notice is linked to here.
More testing kits are available to any household with a student in school by following this link to the government’s website. They are also available from local pharmacies.
If you have any questions regarding the undertaking of the tests, please contact our school nurses: [email protected]