4 July 2017
Talan Skeels-Piggins was guest speaker at this year's Lower School “Be the Best” Celebration and spoke to boys and parents about his journey to overcome the accident in 2003 that had left him paralysed from the waist down to ski at the Winter Paralympics in 2010 and then compete in several other sports. Since he last spoke to the boys in September, he has come second in the Le Mans World Cup, broken the British land speed record on his motorbike, and taken up long bow archery! His inspiring message of what you can achieve when you approach things with the right mental attitude and don't fear failure should stay with the boys for years to come.
The evening also saw each second year tutor group present a film they had made to reflect on what they have learned as part of the “Be the best you can be” course and a slideshow of photographs cataloguing the story of their time in Lower School.
The end of year prizes were awarded as follows:
- Academic Prizes: Tom Walters (1M), Philip Grotjahn (1P), Rory Kind (1S), Alexandre Peuch (2C), Ethan Walker (2H) and Isaac Mortiboy (2W)
- Baker Award: Eoin Chippendale, Matthew Jarvis, Harry Watkins and Finn Wilson
- Broadbent Cup for Sporting Excellence: Max Siriwardene
- Cooper Cup for Excellence in Reading: Alexander Bryant
- Dillon Cup for Service: Harry Watkins
- Woodgett Cup: Ben Lisemore