Christ’s Hospital Arms
Vert a Calvary cross on three degrees or.
The Calvary cross represents Christ's Hospital of Abingdon which, at the granting of its charter in 1553, was charged with the maintenance of the grammar school. The Master and Governors of Christ’s Hospital have supported the School over the centuries, especially between 1608 and 1870 when they were responsible for appointing and supporting the Tesdale Usher and the six Bennett scholars.
The image shows the arms of Christ's Hospital of Abingdon, on a ceiling boss in the Grundy Library.