ASPA – Connecting Parents, Supporting School life
You may have danced or dined at a whole school event, stocked up at the Second-hand Uniform Shop, quizzed against other parents, used the car share scheme, or perhaps you’re about to meet up with fellow parents and your year group reps. Either way, as an Abingdon School parent, you’re automatically members of ASPA (at no extra charge).
With your support, we’re pleased to be able to support the parent community and to help towards school life.
Here are 5 things you might not have known…
- Over 3000 parents have come to ASPA organised events over the last five years, and many more before that!
- Over £28,000 has been donated to the Annual Fund (which supports school life) since 2011 which is largely thanks to the number of event supported by parents.
- Each year, a group of boys are recipients of the OA and ASPA Travel Awards, helping towards the cost of overseas experiences, usually involving research or charity work. This year there are six recipients to whom ASPA and the OA team have donated £1,000 each.
- The Second-hand Uniform Shop has raised £17,000 in the last four years, which includes the donation of the Yamaha Grand Piano now living in the foyer of the Amey Theatre.
- Many parents and boys have used the car share scheme, helping to save fuel costs, and the environment!
If you’d like to know more or come along to one of our meetings, please contact the Vice Chair, Anne-Marie Nugent at email@example.com.
ASPA: THE social network for parents.
Welcome to ASPA – the Abingdon School Parent’s Association
The main focus of ASPA is to be a conduit for parents, enabling them to meet other parents in social situations and get to know each other better, be it at year group level or at all school events. We have had some super events over the last few years including black tie all school events at Pembroke College, Eynsham Hall and the Cherwell Boathouse, a trip on the Thames, skating, bowling, race nights, outdoor skittles, our annual quiz night as well as an all school barbecue last year. Whilst our main focus is always to enable you to meet with other parents, we also try and raise some funds at some of these events through auctions and raffles. Funds raised are transferred into our fund and then allocated back for specific projects or items across the school for the direct benefit of all our boys.
We hold meetings at 7.30pm twice a term, and you are always welcome to come and attend our meetings. If you would like to take an active role on the ASPA Committee, or be an ASPA Helper to help at any of our social events you are most welcome. If you would like further information about any of this, please contact, Anne-Marie Nugent, Vice Chair at firstname.lastname@example.org.
ASPA is run by parents for parents. It provides networking and social opportunities through:
- Year Group social evenings
- Annual Lower School social event
- Whole School Events
ASPA is also responsible for running the Second-hand Uniform Shop (SUS).
You are invited to participate in an active role in our vibrant parent community by joining the ASPA Committee or adding your name to the Helpers List. Contact Anne-Marie Nugent, Vice Chair at email@example.com.
As one of the main functions of ASPA is to provide networking and social opportunities for Parents we are very keen to receive ideas which can be developed to achieve this objective. If you would like to suggest an event, whether at House, Year Group or school level please contact ASPA via email.
Whilst ASPA focus on social networking for parents we also raise funds which are donated back into the school, for the community as a whole or to enhance the other half activities.
Some of the donations we have made:
Solar Telescope (£1,000)
Left Handed Rifle (£1,800)
Raised Beds for Gardening Club (£720)
Classics Trip Bursary (£1,500)
Makeblock Robots (£500)
Takings from the Second Hand Uniform shop enabled us to donate the following in January 2017:
Cricket Nets for Cox's Field (£4,800)
Film School for Lower School (£2,765)
Teaching Physics using Scaletrix (£1,065)
The ASPA committee is composed of current parents/guardians, up to two staff representatives and, if they wish, representatives of other parent societies e.g. Music Society. The Head, Director of Admissions and Development Director are ex officio members. The committee meets twice a term. A sub-committee organising a specific event may arrange additional meetings.
The current ASPA Committee is keen to welcome new members, particularly parents/guardians from those year groups currently under represented. Potential members are most welcome to attend a committee meeting and meet everyone before committing themselves. If you are interested in joining please contact Anne-Marie Nugent, Vice Chair at firstname.lastname@example.org.
We appreciate there are people who prefer not to commit to joining a committee but are very willing to volunteer their help at specific events. Please contact ASPA if you can offer to help.
- 1st Year - Olivia Andersson and Beth Trotter
- 2nd Year - Sue Wallis and Linda Fathers
- 3rd Year - Jacqui Summons and Karen Hope
- 4th Year - Carol Vanhinsbergh
- 5th Year - Candy Madeley
- Lower Sixth - Sian Walsh
- Upper Sixth - Mary Mackney
- School rep - Ian Fishpool
- Chair - Kerensa Sheen
- Vice Chair - Anne-Marie Nugent
- Treasurer - Karen Czaplewski
- Secretary - Nicola Markham
- Events Co-ordinator - Suzanne Mara
- Publicity - Heather Atkinson
- SUS Co-ordinator - Marilyn Moore